Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Explanation . . .

For those of you who are NOT far-sighted, I just wanted to clarify what I was referring to in my maniacal post.
When you are far-sighted, you have the ability to make your eyes focus. You can force the muscles around your lens to constrict enough that it brings the world into focus, but it does take a considerable amount of energy, when you are as blind as I. Therefore, I can wake up in the morning and see just fine, forgetting that I don't have my contacts in, but as the day progresses, this effort slowly puts strain on me. As any one of my family members can attest, by halfway through the day, I feel a little high-strung and by the end of the day I can be pretty irritable. Imagine having a raging headache that gets worse throughout the day, but you don't really FEEL it - you just get the emotional effects of it. (I know that description doesn't really make sense, but that's the best I can come up with.)
So today. I kept thinking, Oh yeah, I need to go put my contacts in after I finish feeding Elsie - or after I clean up the jam on the counter - or as soon as we get home . . . I just kept forgetting.

(P.S. - Amber, have you had Jacob's eyes checked? Kids that are far-sighted, often have headaches.)

1 comment:

Amber said...

That is a good idea I will have to go get his eyes checked. Thanks for the explanation =). I am so blind there is no way on earth I wouldn't know my contacts weren't in.