Sunday, March 9, 2008

Ben Franklin's cruel sense of humor.

Have you even gone somewhere and sat down and just felt like something was wrong??? Like you forgot something? And you're trying to think, did I forget to zip up my skirt? What about mascara? Did I remember to put that on before we rushed out of the house? What is it???? 

So...

Today is the first time in about a two months that we've been on time to church! Amazing, eh? So by "on time" I mean within the first 2 minutes after Sacrament Meeting started. We go march up to our usual spot - the very front (it's always available), as the congregation is singing the opening hymn. "Scatter Sunshine" one of my favorites! Page number? Okay, pull out the hymnal, page number (whatever). Wait a minute! That page number isn't "Scatter Sunshine"! Those are the numbers for the opening hymn on the little board! Next hymn? No. That would be the sacrament hymn. They don't sing "Scatter Sunshine" for the sacrament hymn. Look it up anyway. Nope. That's not it. Look at the clock. Five after. Right. Someone messed up the numbers? Think, think. It's not the intermediate hymn??? They have NOT blessed and passed the sacrament in the first FIVE minutes of the meeting???!!! Look at the clock. What is going on? Look up the intermediate hymn. That's not it either!! This is NOT the closing hymn. Someone has a problem. Sit. Quietly. Not singing. *****GASP*****
Lean over. Look at Nels. Smile. Look at the clock. Self-incriminating chuckle. "Nels, would you like to know why they're not singing the opening hymn?" Nels - "They're not?" Me - "No. They're singing the closing hymn. Daylight savings."

AAAAaaaauuuuuuuggggggggg!!! 

7 comments:

Thomas Family said...

Haha, been there done that and so did another family in our ward today. You are not alone! :) I love reading your blog and hearing your stories about your girls. So fun! Being a mom is the greatest and craziest job in the world!

ClancyPants said...

ROCK ON!!!! I wished that that would have been me today... I wouldn't have missed any of church, but I WOULD have missed Choir Practice! ;)
So, I was wondering if, by chance, the Twilight Zone music started playing in the background of Scatter Sunshine? You are awesome!

lynsey said...

lol rach. when ben & i were in rexburg & at the 8:00 am ward, we had daylight savings but it was the opposite...we got there an hour early! along with 3 other stunned couples. so we all laid down in the pews and took a nap. isn't daylight savings a cruel joke sometimes?

Sara : Confetti Sunshine said...

oh i was so afraid that was going to happen to us this last sunday... luckily, it didn't because i don't think my story would've been half as entertaining!

Life for the Pillings said...

Ha Ha Ha!! That's pretty funny!

Lisa said...

LOL! You rock! We're still getting used to the time change at our household.

Amber said...

Ha! Ha! Ha! That is hilarious! I don't know why we have day light savings anyway. I think it is a ridicules thing to do and it really has messed me up this week. I am having a hard time getting up in the dark again. And when dinner time comes around it feels like the middle of the day. And I am scrambling around trying to throw a decent dinner together and make the house look semi presentable so it looks like at least maintained order that day.
I agree with you it is a very cruel sense of humor =). Thanks for the laughs.