Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Some Cute Pics

Here are some recent pictures that I love and some of Nels' birthday that I forgot to post in my haste to tell how much I love him.



Lilie reading "Mr. Brown" to Elsie.


Isn't she a dolly-babe! What a cutie! She LOVES food more than any 5 month-old I've ever seen! And she can eat more too!





I was SO proud of this cake! After nearly 6 years of marriage, I have FINALLY made a cake - ENTIRELY FROM SCRATCH! I've made cakes before, but they always had little cheating things in them, like a cake mix ---- or a hand mixer.
Recently my hand mixer died and so I decided to make this cake by hand. I could have used my fantastic Bosch, but I had to mix about 4 different things for this Lemon Platinum Cake, and I didn't want to have to repeatedly wash my mixer bowl, so instead I stupidly used a whisk and several different bowls. Little did I know before starting this cake, that it's pretty much a lemon angel food cake. I whipped the egg whites, the egg yolks, then whipped sugar into each of them, then whipped them together, then whipped the cream, whipped in the sugar to the cream . . . you get the picture. This cake was truly a labor of love and . . . Pride. Halfway through the first whipping, I thought, "Oh my gosh! My arm is going to fall off! Maybe I should use my Bosch . . . no. I've gone to all this work, I don't want to dirty another bowl." I'm so retarded! I kept thinking this through all the different things I had to whip.
My arm was sore for a couple of days!


The other day Hazel was over at a friend's and Elsie was napping, so I set Lilie up at the counter to color while I painted the bathroom. I closed the door as I painted behind it and when I opened it, I could hear deep, even breathing. I peek out and find her like this at the counter. Fell asleep mid-color. Still had the pencil in her hand. Silly Lilie.

5 comments:

ClancyPants said...

I love seeing all these pictures of your little family. I love the one of Lilie asleep, pencil in hand! So cute! And I'm way impressed with the masterful cake making! You are pretty much Caroline Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie! (I'm reading the Little House series right now to my kids and they LOVE it! I highly recommend it!)

Amber said...

Oh, that silly little Lilie!! That is pretty impressive that she is not falling off the chair! She's go skill.

Life for the Pillings said...

The cake looks awesome! I have to agree with you I can cook a great dinner, but baking is something that I'm still in the process of perfecting! I'm a hit and miss kind of cake maker. I made and angel food cake for mom on her birthday - I too forgot how much mixing it takes. Anyway, it turned out perfect. I was so proud when I took it out of the oven. I went to tip it over a bottle like you are suppose to so it doesn't fall in -well it fell out over the bottle - SMASH. It was so sad! I took it anyway - I didn't have another two hours to cook another one. So Mom got a squished, but yummy angel cake. The pictures of Lilie are so cute!

Lisa said...

I Love it! The little ones occasionaly get so involved in what they're doing, they just crash, right then and there. So cute! And wish Happy Birthday to Nels for us.

lynsey said...

wow do you have any of that cake left that you can fed-ex to NC? looks fantastic! so does lilie in her underoos. that is so funny!