
I've been wanting to plan a real family vacation all year long. We haven't been on one since Nels graduated and it was high time. However Melaleuca is not in the habit of giving Nels clear plans. I asked Nels weeks ago, "Is this going to end up being a "we-don't-know-that-we-get-to go-until-the-day-before" kind of vacation? No, Rachel. Of course not. We should be able to know well before we're leaving. -- Of course. What was I thinking?? :)
Well before = 3 days. :)
So off we headed to Washington to visit my sweet cousin and her sweet family in Monroe. Truth to tell, I was NERVOUS. Elsie has not been our best traveller and I was concerned about how she would hold up over the 12 hours. We left at 1:30 am Saturday morning. The girls all woke up at 3:00 am. One two hour stint of puking and potty breaks every 20 minutes for Hazel and Lilie - mid-morning. Didn't need to even turn on the dvd player until we'd been driving for 10 hours. And had three little angels the entire trip. Elsie - on the way up and back - never threw any kind of fit whatsoever. Sigh. It's amazing. It was a good drive.
It was a GORGEOUS week to visit Washington. While it rained at home, we had sunny 85 degree weather our entire trip.
We got to be there to celebrate Kaitlyn's 2nd birthday. (A circus. Seriously. With 7 children, how could it be anything else?)
Enjoyed the park.
Went to Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound.

Jacob, Lilie, Nels, Hannah, Me, Hazel, Elsie,
Amber, Adelie, and Katie Sue!
What a crowd! :)
We clarified to one couple that we are NOT polygamists. :)
She said, "I figured you were either Catholics or Mormons."

We love ferries!!
And played at the beach.

Hazel's silly face she likes to make. :)

Nels asked Lilie to pose. Ha!

Elsie's brief debut on "Survivor".

While at the beach, Hazel, Lilie, and Jacob worked steadily on this fun little project. They collected all their treasures (i.e. - dead crabs, shells, sticks, sea weed, etc.) and arranged them across the beach. Awesome.
Nels and I took our girls and Hannah hiking along one of the many trails not far from Monroe.

Although out of focus, the surroundings are breathtaking. :)

Them's some cute girls!
We had a great time hiking! All the girls were real troopers, but Hannah is seriously a stellar hiker! They loved hiking - they loved playing in the river on the way back even more. :)
We went to the aquarium, as well as to the Experience Music and Science Fiction museums in Seattle.
And last but DEFINITELY not least, just had a wonderful time sleeping in, playing, talking, and relaxing at Amber and Wes's beautiful home.
It was truly such a fabulous vacation. We were able to stay long enough to REALLY unwind and enjoy ourselves without over-scheduling and rushing all around. The children got along SO well -- well mostly. Elsie and Katie Sue seem to . . . occupy much of the same space in the universe and often times had a difficult time making room. :) Poor Katie got bit, hit, and growled at several times by our "baby dinosaur". :)
As crazy as 7 kids and 4 adults in one house can be :), it was hard to come home. We loved visiting Washington (enough that I'm not going to discourage Nels from browsing for jobs in the area :). The trip was WONDERFUL just getting to spend (mostly) uninterrupted time together talking as a couple and a family. Just playing it by ear with no specific places to go or times to be there. But more than anything else, it was SO GOOD to be with Amber, Wes, and their kids. I love my cousin. She's been there for me since the day I was born and I love her like I love my sisters. She's been a constant in my life. As Amber said before we were leaving, "Having you come visit doesn't make it easier to not live close. It's not like I get my fix and then I'm good for a while. It makes me miss you all the more."
I love you, Amber. Thank you so much for letting us come! IT WAS WONDERFUL!!!




10 comments:
That looks like an awesome vacation! And I love that you have "no normal-type children." That would be WAY too boring for you and Nels. Also in a random question, did your cousin Amber grow up in Gilbert or go to BYUI? She looks familiar... Or maybe she just looks like someone I knew...
What fun! I'm so glad that you were able to go! I loved the pictures of your girls at the beach!
What a beautiful area!!! I LOVE your pictures!!! Looks like you guys had a blast! (can you tell I like using exclamation marks?!?!?!)
This post makes me want to visit Washington...and yes, you missed out on a TON of rain!
What a beautiful area!!! I LOVE your pictures!!! Looks like you guys had a blast! (can you tell I like using exclamation marks?!?!?!)
This post makes me want to visit Washington...and yes, you missed out on a TON of rain!
what a fun vacation, and i'm glad everyone did so well in the car! what a blessing. next time you need to come to AZ!
Awesome pics! And what a cute swimming suit! I have the same one, but I don't fill out very well... *sigh*
OH, I love you too Rachel!! You're so awesome for coming here to see me. It was wonderful! I miss you!
Ah ha! Yes, I totally knew Chris. I had honors English with him I believe my junior year. So funny! Small world.
Ahhh! Sounds GREAT! I'm so glad that you were all able to enjoy a fabulous vacation.
What a fun trip! Looks like you kept busy and enjoyed everything about it - even if it was planned a little later than hoped for! Where in Washington did you go? I lived on the Puget sound for 12 years. Whidbey Island and all the San Juans make me miss it soooo much. Glad you're girls got to experience it!
Post a Comment