So I've gotten several questions about what kind of cake it was that I made for Lilie's birthday. It is Angel Food cake, with blue colored whipped cream, topped with strawberries, kiwi, and mandarin oranges. Now, this is not a box cake. This is a recipe from my Grandmother. So for those of you who have the family cookbook, it's Grandma Merkley's Angel Food, for those unfortunate souls that do not, I will provide the recipe because IT IS SO GOOD! It tastes tons better than the boxed kind . . . just remember, no not grease the pan . . . poor Melissa! :)(Hmmm...maybe I'll figure out a way to put our recipe book up online, so all can enjoy! I'll have to think about that.)
Grandma Merkley's Angel Food Cake
FOLLOW EACH STEP AND IT NEVER FAILS
FOLLOW EACH STEP AND IT NEVER FAILS
1 3/4 cup egg whites (12-14 eggs)
1 1/4 c sifted cake flour (sift before measuring)
1 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
Step 1
Separate eggs while still cold, measure whites; pour into large bowl. Warm to room temperature about 1 hour. Sift flour and measure. Then sift with 3/4 cup sugar, resift three times. Preheat oven to 375.
Step 2
At medium speed beat whites with salt and cream of tartar just until soft peaks form when beater is slowly raised. Do not over beat.
Step 3
At high speed, gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until stiff peaks form when beater is slowly raised. With wire whisk gently fold extracts into white.
Step 4
Sprinkle 1/4 of flour mixture over whites. With wire whisk, using an under and over motion, gently fold flour mixture into whites, rotating bowl until flour disappears.
Step 5
Continue folding in flour mixture, 1/4 at a time as in step 4. With rubber scraper, gently push batter into an ungreased 10” tube pan. With knife, cut through batter twice to remove any large air bubbles.
Step 6
Bake on lowest rack in oven for 30-35 mins or until top springs back when gently pressed with finger. Invert pan over neck of bottle to cool completely. (important or it will fall).
2 comments:
Wow! That looks awesome! I am pretty sure that this recipe looks way yummy, but requires way to much planning for me... I don't think I could stand to wait for an hour for the egg whites to come to room temperature!
I said it before... you must be the Caroline Ingalls of 2008! (hence the blue food coloring... I don't think Caroline had that! She probably didn't have ready access to Kiwi, either!)
:)
Wow! You are a Martha Stewart in the making!! I am a whimp and ALWAYS use the box =).
Post a Comment