Saturday, July 30, 2011

July . . . How does your garden grow?


A little bit of random.
  • What a busy month. Nels has been gone for most of the past 30 days. Either he's at work, he's sleeping in the bedroom (which didn't happen nearly enough), the girls and I were out of town (and he was working), or he's out of town. 
  • He is currently out of town. He comes home Sunday night . . . and then leaves again for another five days on Wednesday. 
  • It's been a long month of being hugely pregnant and a single mom. I really miss my friend.
  • My garden? Sad. I think it was the Lord's way of saying, "Rachel. Just don't worry about it this year." I planted three {huge} rows of beans. We love canned beans at our house. I believe that I can count on two hands the number of plants that actually came up. I'm not retarded. I know how to plant beans. I think it was the Lord + bad seeds. 
  • Oh well. Less work for me this Fall = still a lot of work to be done in the next month.
  • I. DON'T. LIKE. WAITING. I'm not good at it. I don't know how to remedy this. -- Well, with anything other than Waiting.
  • Walmart brand wipes are amazing at getting pen off my walls. Which is lucky for me because we have lots of wipes and lots of pen on my walls. (Courtesy of a certain someone whose name begins with a "V" and ends with a "iolet". Also, I'd be remiss in not sending a special thanks to the other people who we will kindly call "deadmeat" who keep leaving writing utensils all over the house.)
  • Walmart brand wipes DO NOT get pencil off walls. A very frustrating fact - as that seems to be the afore unnamed person's current weapon of choice. As I sat, nearly cussing, at She-who-will-not-be-named last night, scrubbing away, my mind was going through all my cleaning agents - which are such excellent cleaners that if I were to use them on my walls, they would not only remover the pencil, but the paint as well. "They really need to create something that can get pencil off walls that wouldn't damage the paint. I'm sure I'm not the only mother in the history of this world with this problem." THEN. My mind caught hold of the magic solution! It is called E-RAS-ER. Ha! Like magic! We actually own two that Violet hasn't even chewed up yet!! I'm a GENIUS!!! After two weeks of fighting this losing battle to reclaim my walls from the dreaded pencil, I discovered a MIRACLE! So if YOU are ever in the heat of battle against pencil on walls, just remember this novel solution that I'VE come up with and go with the E-RAS-ER.
  • Being pregnant helps my brain to work extra good. Very efficient, creative, and quick. That's me. When I'm pregnant. A Maz Ing. Me.
  • Sometimes I think of making a list of 30 Things I'd Like to Do Before I'm 30. Then I realize I already have a list of 75 things that I'd like to do in the next three hours. 
  • July is nearly over. August is coming. June was over before I could even catch my breath. July feels like it was a blur of stress and tiredness, interspersed with a few select moments of perfection. I have a feeling that August is going to feel like a tornado.
  • Bring it on!

12 comments:

MeggyT said...

Rachel, I cannot believe how grown up Hazel is. I feel like it was just yesterday she was born and I was visiting you and cuddling your new baby. So much has changed. You are a great mommy, I hope I can be as awesome as you!!! As for your list of things to do, I think you should add visiting me on the East Coast, or giving me your address and I'll visit you in the fall when I'm out there.

Sara Newton said...

There's also a thing called "the magic eraser" that has helped get random stuff off our walls, including crayons and pencil. Next time I get pencil on the walls, I'll use the cheaper solution of the normal eraser...

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

I swear by the magic eraser for getting 'Kid Messes' off the.walls, floors, cabinets, countertops, etc.

Rachel Chick said...

Only problem with the "magic" eraser is that when you scrub walls hard - it will also remove the paint. :) Yes, yes. It will remove EVERYTHING. :) Or at least discolor it. :) Learned that with my oldest two. :)

Anonymous said...

So the other day I was thinking of how grateful I am that Addison hadn't drawn on the walls yet. Then about two minutes later I manage to draw a huge line of "magic" marker all over my kitchen wall! Anyways, just goes to show that even a non-pregnant mind can do some silly things. Love you Rach, good luck with the eraser :)

Amber said...

HA! You are amazing. You really truly are. Love you! Glad you came up with the incredible idea of using an E-RAS-ER! =)

Nels Chick said...

Hey beautiful lady! Thanks for the post! I love you!

Travis and Heather said...

Um....I am not sure I am worthy to post on the goddess of mother's blogs but I shall invite myself into your lovely world. That picture of you and your beautiful ladies makes me happy.
Sometimes when I scrub pencil or pen or supposedly washable marker off my newly painted table i want to say cuss words too. And sometimes I mutter them under my breath and wonder if those are forgiven easily because .....i don't know. Mom's deserve mercy?
I can't believe you are about to have baby number five. I treasure those words of wisdom you left on my blog months ago. Still remember them, still repeat them in the mirror each morning (not really, but perhaps I should try it) and am still grateful that years ago you were my RS president and still own me and care for me miles away via blog advice. Much love!
And so glad you found the eraser. If you find any other magical cleaner that doesn't r.e.m.o.v.e paint pass it on.

Melyni + Alma said...

What a beautiful picture! You should still make a 30 things before 30 list...I have a trillion things on my TO DO list but when I make it smaller it makes it seem possible to get done and I can add fun stuff to it. You know what I mean? Plus it's fun checking them off.

Alisha said...

My garden didn't grow very well either...sigh...but hey...now I get to spend money supporting local farmers right? sigh..oh, well!

Good luck with the waiting...its the worst!

ClancyPants said...

your garden grows pretty girls.... but maybe not beans this year.

the end.

The Ricks Family said...

Love the pic but I am a bit confused, in the previous post you said you were retarded and in this post you said you werent...