
Today the girls and I made up a chore chart. The girls have been waiting for me to do this for quite a while and were really excited. (Lately when we do something "really fun" Hazel tells me that this is "the best day!" It's so funny to be making a chore chart or letting her help me make dinner or planting beans in our garden and hear her say that this is "the best day!" or her "favorite day ever!" I love that little girl!) So we had the "best" time making our chart.
Later in the day we were working hard to finish all her tasks (like cleaning her room, taking dirty clothes to the laundry room, etc.) and once completed she got to put a sticker next to each one. We weren't able to finish ALL - as we didn't start until later in the day, so I told her tomorrow we could work hard and get them all done. We've made a deal that if the girls finish all the things on their chart (or maybe even all but one) they could get a nickel or dime that day. I reminded Hazel of this saying, " . . . then you could earn a money. And if you decide to save it, you could even get enough money to buy something ---- and you could pay your tithing." Hazel, "What's tithing?" Me, "Well, it's . . . maybe we could have a family home evening about it on Monday." (It was getting late by this point and sometimes conversations with Hazel can turn out REALLY long. :) She immediately stopped, turned to me and said, "No, Mommy! Tell me now."
As I was thinking and smiling about this - it just reminded me how much I love this sweet little girl. Firstly because I know that she gets fed up with me putting her off - but secondly because it perfectly illustrates her curious personality. Hazel NEEDS TO KNOW. Everything. She has ALWAYS been full of the question "why?" and "how?" and "where?" and "if?" and "what happens when?" She NEEDS to know. It drives her nuts to not know something. She continually is doing little experiments - much to my chagrin (because they usually involve water, her hands - and by extension, the rest of her body - and either food or mud or some sort of writing device). I love seeing the way her mind works. My little Scientist.
5 comments:
"What is Tithing? I will tell you every time, ten cents from a dollar and a penny from a dime." (I can't remember what prophet quoted that - I know Pres. Hinckley did, but I think someone else started it...)
This last week's 'theme' in the primary outline was about tithing and how it helps to build temples - temples being the theme of the month...
That is so sweet that she was so adamant about knowing what you were taking about! What a great learning experience!
Your girls are so cute. I read about the cute things your girls say. I can't wait till Hannah says such cute things. It is amazing to me still to this day how you can love someone so much.
What a beautiful picture! Did you take it? I want to hear the rest of the story about how you explained "tithing" to her and what she thought about that new concept!
That's awesome. What a blessing to recognize these qualities and cherish them. Good job!
We've been working on the tithing thing with Mac. The other day I was substituting in Ella's class in Primary. Sharing time was going on and the question was posed, "Why do we pay tithing?" Mac raised his hand and was called on and this was his answer:
"When we pay our tithing, we get more money back and the windows of heaven are opened and blessings pour down on us."
My mouth fell open in shock. I guess he's picked up on somethings in our discussions. I didn't think he had, but that answer rattled off his almost eight year old tongue. Wow. Makes you feel like you've done something good.
Rachel, that is an awesome picture of Hazel. I wish I had your skill to capture both through pictures and words the love I have for my kids. I love this post about your little scientist. You're a great mom!
Post a Comment