Friday, September 5, 2008

Friday's Fabulous Five

So my friend Clancy has decided to make Fridays her day to write five things that are fabulous and fantastic in her life right now. I think this is a FABULOUS idea and I'm going to follow suit.

1. My children's sense of humor. (Lilie is currently sitting on the floor laughing. Saying, "Hug - ging - g" over and over again. What a fun - nee gi - rl!)
2. My sweet husband who works for us all day and then has come home and cleaned up the kitchen for me the last few nights.
3. Two working vehicles.
4. Neighbor kids for my children to play with.
5. My mom and her perspective on life. Her willingness to share her experiences with me.
5.1 (hee hee!) A loving Heavenly Father who is well aware of my daily minor and not so minor problems and blesses me accordingly --- as long as I ASK.

For the past few days I have been feeling like C-R-A-P. However, moms rarely get the luxury of being sick. I haven't been feeling particularly grateful. 

The other day Lilie took an incredibly late nap and decided that she was going to stay up incredibly late. So I decided to put on a movie that would be mildly entertaining for her, but still boring enough that she might think about falling asleep. I decided upon "Pollyanna". --- It is interesting the perspective that adulthood can give you on a movie like this. The wisdom and thoughts contained in this movie has been hovering around me the last couple of days. She plays her "Glad Game" throughout the movie. Finding things to be glad about. A lot of people look at optimistic people and call them naive or sheltered or unrealistic. You know, happiness, for the most part, is a choice. It's not naivete, it's not refusing to acknowledge the bad in the world, it's about choosing the lens through which you will see the world. 

She shares the quote from Abraham Lincoln that says, "If you look for the bad in mankind, you shall surely find it." Isn't that just as true of husbands, children, friends, total strangers, and our everyday life situations? The great thing is that the reverse is true as well. How soothing, joyful, and healing gratitude and service can be! 

Thank you, Clancy, for you thoughts today. I really appreciated the reminder! (And thank you, Sara, for your sweet attitude that has reiterated the thoughts roaming around in my mind the last few days! You make me cry. Get well soon!!) I have also been reading a blog the last few days about a couple from Arizona that is having a hard time right now --- their fight and their family. I have felt incredibly grateful for the blessings the Lord has given us -- and know that regardless of circumstances, there is always something to be glad about.

7 comments:

ClancyPants said...

Awesome! I too have been feeling so grateful for my challenges as I read about NieNie and Mr. Nielsen. They are truly amazing.

Miss you! Let's get our butts running next week sometime! (if you're feeling better... I totally know that feel like C-R-A-P thing, as you well know!)

Amber said...

Oh, thanks for the reminder!! I need to become a Pollyanna. I love that movie!

Perry's said...

What a great Idea to do with your blog. So I was talking to my mom about how many of the family is pregnant. I am waiting for you tell tell us that you are:)

Rachel Chick said...

:) LOL!

lynsey said...

loved this one. we found out about the nielsens through friends here in AZ who have friends who are related to them. follow that? anyway, her outlook on life & her family inspired and uplifted me. so thank you for reminding me of what's most important & for doing the friday fab fives! that lilie is too cute!

Amber said...

I have missed chatting with you too. I read on someone's blog, probably Melissa's, that you had lost your voice. I'll give you a couple days..then you better watch out. Cause even if you can't talk maybe I'll call and talk your ear off =). Get better soon!

Sara Newton said...

Hey! I didn't know you mentioned me on here! Sorry I made you cry. I hope you're feeling better. I'm home now and dealing with the next 3 months of life without walking...I think I might rent Pollyanna sometime soon so that I can continue to work on my good attitude!