Wednesday, September 3, 2008

3 Summers in the Making

This past weekend Nels fulfilled a promise that was three summers in the making! Camping. :)

The past 2 summers Nels has been so busy with movie making and this summer has been filled with movie and going that the summer almost passed us by before we got a chance! :) We still haven't made it to Yellowstone yet, but . . . :)

We rushed as soon as Nels got off work to get up into the mountains, but alas, it still took a good hour and a half before we got out the door. Once to our desired canyon, we drove all around, looking for the "perfect" camp spot before it got dark. And indeed we found it - about 20 times - on private property. (I think I should have talked to someone about the area before we headed up there!) So we drove all the way to the top of the canyon, turned around and came straight back to the very first spot we'd seen. We pulled in just as it started to get dark. :)

We quickly got the tent set up so I'd have somewhere to put Elsie and Nels then got the fire going. (Have I ever mentioned what a fabulous fire-starter Nels is? It's one of the many things that continue to impress me! Truly! He is REALLY good! I love it! LOL! :) Nels fed the girls hot dogs as I set up beds and Elsie crawled around -- in and out of the tent -- getting incredibly dirty and LOVING it. As we prepared to put the girls in their cozy little beds, I went to grab Elsie's binky. (YES! She is STILL using her binky to go to sleep! I know, I know, don't give me any guff about it! :) WELL . . . her binky was nowhere to be found and she was REALLY tired. I searched all around the tent, in the van -- EVERYWHERE in the van -- and even in the bushes and UNDER the van. While looking on my hands and knees under the van for the ump-teenth time, I - again - didn't find her binky, but did find something equally "exciting".

I walked over to Nels, sitting lazily next to our fire.
I walk around the fire. Debating. Vacillating - back and forth, back and forth. Is it best to give your husband information that you can do nothing about (and will probably stress him out) as soon as you receive it, or to just enjoy your time together and let him discover it on his own in the morning???? Well, I've never been good at withholding information from Nels.

"So. I've got some bad news and some bad news." I say. "The bad news is, I still can't find Elsie's binky." As we hear her let out another sad wail from the tent. :( "The other bad news is - we have a flat tire."

AGAIN!? Are you kidding me?? This is the second flat tire in a month! -- And always at inopportune times. *** Oh well. Such is life.

We had a good rest of the night. It was a perfect night for camping - not too cold - and given the lack of the *bink* the girls slept extremely well. The next morning we bummed around, took a nap, and took a little hike.


Changing the tire was a job! By the time we finished, we were all tired, ornery, hot, and dirty. We figured, judging by the amount of nails littered across our camp site, that I must have driven over one as I was parking. (There are times when I feel like I do everything wrong! Pop the tire, lose the binky . . . ) But all in all, it was still a lot of fun to be together as a family.


Sometimes, I start to think that I don't want to do these "extra" things -- that it ends up being more hassle than it's worth -- but then I remember that these are the moments that memories are made from.


It's important to look at things not as a hassle (with days worth of clean-up) but as precious little moments that we are building memories and relationships with our children. It's important.


Enjoy the moment. Enjoy the ride. (Even if it gives you a flat tire now and then!)

8 comments:

Sara : Confetti Sunshine said...

oh how cute! it looks like your girls enjoyed the camping, even if you did not... and you are so right about enjoying the moment. I have to remind myself to do that all the time. Thanks for the reminder :D

Rachel Holloway said...

too true, too true...

You are so wise.

Thanks for all your insights. :) I loved what you had to say--on my blog and yours. :)

What a fun trip...okay, well, what a MEMORABLE trip! :)

ClancyPants said...

perfect metaphor! I love love love the dirty face pictures! They are TOO funny. You aren't camping if your kids' faces don't look like that! LOL!

Ready to start running again? We have a goal to meet... 5K!!!

You're awesome!

Perry's said...

I want to go camping so bad. It is hard when your pregnant and you have to get up all night to go to the bathroom. I am glad you were able to get out. CAmping has such a great feeling. I am glad it turned out. What great memories

Anonymous said...

I totally understand what you mean! I really want to go camping, but I don't think I'm at the same point you are in your mothering skills!:) I think if my kids were to get as dirty as yours I'd freak out. LOL, but it does sound like fun to just let go and let them enjoy themselves! I'm sorry about your flat tire and no pacifier. Brynnan didn't get off his pacifier until he was almost 20 months old!! So don't feel bad about Elsie.

Sara Newton said...

Oh how cute they are! For reals about sleeping, sometimes whatever works is what needs to be done! Eventually, she'll figure out that she doesn't need one...my husband's aunt told me that eventually they figure out that certain things are not "cool."

Amber said...

Once again another inspiring wonderful post. I really do think you should have your own talk radio sation. It would be a hit!!! I guess that is why I call you so often. To hear your inspiration and humor about life. You're awesome!!! Love ya!

Life for the Pillings said...

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun!! Good for you for going. Sorry about the flat tire - that's pretty funny - well I had to laugh. At least it's just flat tires and not broken bones :0)!