Well, we decided that since we were down, we would go to the Lindsay Reunion in Heber. This is my paternal grandmother's (who died before my parents were married) side of the family. I
t was so great! (I don't know that Nels, my children, my SIL Kelly, or niece and nephews would agree, but it was a great experience for me!) I really enjoyed talking to my dad's uncle and cousins. I was able to learn a lot about that side of my family - a lot that I didn't know - and it was really exciting.
LIKE every line on that side of the family either came through Nauvoo with the Saints or were in Winter Quarters and Council Bluffs. That's cool. We read the history of one grandmother who was in the Martin Handcart Company as a little girl and whose hair was frozen to the ground nearly every morning when she woke up. We were able to see (and go into the bathroom of :) the home that my great-great grandfather James Lindsay built. See the home(s) and land where my grandmother grew up. The following Tuesday I went up to my great-uncle Ben Lindsay's home and was able to get some copies of histories and talk to my dad's cousin, Karen, about helping her compile a Lindsay book with all the histories that she's collected in it. I'm super excited. ---
--- As an aside, I also learned another little tidbit of trivial information that means a lot to me. I realized while talking to my Uncle Ben that he has ENORMOUS hands. :) As I sat there looking at them - I realized that they look exactly the same as my dad's (other than obviously being older! :). The shape of them is just like his. And MINE are the same shape as my dad's hands (and only slightly smaller). The palms, the fingers. I've always been kind of self-conscious of my hands. I was not blessed with the small, pretty hands that my sister Melissa has, that my mom has. I have big, strong hands with long, thick fingers. I've always thought that they looked like man-hands! :) LOL! Last week I realized that these were probably the same hands that my grandmother had --- or at the very least, a gene that SHE passed to me. I feel . . . I don't know . . . strangely more connected to her. (((happy sigh))) :)
Anyway, I just wanted to share a couple of pictures that I've been able to collect this past week. I'm planning to gather pictures of my family and Nels's as well and make a big collage wall in my living room with them. For any of you (like within my family) who don't have these photos, I just wanted to share them with you.

My dad's family (all but my oldest aunt who was married by then).
My dad is the youngest boy - on the right.

The only professional picture I have
ever seen of my Grandparents together.

My grandmother's family had THREE
sets of twins!!! (Out of their 11 children!)
My grandma is the young girl
on the right. - They would refer to
themselves as the "Pairs" and the "Spares"! :)
(Before downloading any of these photos, email me. I'm going to continue playing around to see if I can get the colors any better.)
Over the past 4 years or so I have developed a deep love of family history. The verse in Malachi is so true! "And he shall turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers . . ." I have truly felt the power of the Spirit of Elijah. For quite a while I would get so consumed in finding names and searching out "our kindred dead" that it would take up hours of my day . . . "one more minute" would turn into hours. It didn't take very long to realize that this kind of family history work is just not practical for a young mother . . . or at least not for ME. :) I put away my books and pedigree charts and said, "This will just have to wait for another time in my life." Which sadly is not any time soon. Truly, it does make me feel sad and I continually feel a yearning toward it.
Over the past year or so, I have come to the realization that although I can't do some of those parts of family history work, there is still a lot that I CAN do! I'm going to work hard to find histories and compile them for others in my family. I'm going to try to gather other information like pictures and such that I can also help distribute to family members. It is amazing the love that you can come to feel for those who have gone before you. The way that learning about them can complete you and help you to understand yourself better.
I know that sometimes when you think about family history you envision your parents or grandparents sitting around computers or visiting cemeteries (or you remember being a young girl sitting and sitting and sitting and wandering around Temple Square for HOURS waiting and waiting and waiting for your mother - who is at the Family History Library - who said that she was only going to be "just a minute" :) and you think - that is not for me! I'll do it when I'm old and grey. When I have nothing else to do but think of dead people . . . Well, I'm here to tell you that it is for now. It can bring such joy into your life! Whether you are a member of the LDS church or not. There is SO MUCH information available to us now! Through the Church and through hundreds of other websites. A New York Times article from 2001 said that the two most frequented types of sites on the internet are porn and family history. :) Amazing isn't it? Those things that kill the spirit and those that enlarge and enliven it! So tally-ho friends and family - go find your ancestors! They are waiting for you -- and believe it or not, you're waiting to know them as well!
P.S. - For any of Nels' family: I've got a copy of your parents' wedding picture - the one that we gave them for their anniversary last year - that I would be happy to send out to any of you! Just email me and let me know the size that you would like. Right now it is in a square format, I'm sure that I can crop it to whatever dimensions you desire. :)
10 comments:
Cool beans! I haven't caught that bug yet... however, I did get the chance to go through the temple for my grandma in June (on her birthday!). She came to me and asked me to do her temple work. It was one of the coolest things in my life.
Rachel, I have totally caught the bug! When I got home from my mission, I decided to head my patriarchal blessing and take a family history class and I had so much fun! I found an ancestor who's name I didn't even know before and was able to compile 3 pages of info on him and he's been dead for over 100 years! It was so awesome! Michael and I used to go on dates and do family history because we loved doing it together so much...and yes, it does make you feel old at first, but then it gets so exciting! We were really bummed a while back when someone stole Michael's computer and we lost half of the family history we had done because they stole he computer and our back up which was the jump drive...yeah, we haven't had time to go back because Grace was born soon afterwards. I love family history!!
So, I have never been to a family reunion. I know--THE HORROR!! But my family doesn't really like to see or talk to eachother, and there aren't near as many of us as there are of you ;) Polygamy really paid off for the "old mormons." We just didn't convert in time. By the way, due to popular demand I've created my own blog!! http://sarahjayne-lane.blogspot.com so take that!
I always love reading your blog. I definitely want to get copies of these photos and I'd love to hear more stories sometime.
Speaking of family history and since I work for the library (and I'm awesome), our Electronic Resources Librarian gave me this link to a trial we have to world vital records. I haven't tried it out yet, but we're supposed to be comparing it to ancestory.com. You should try it out and tell me what you think.
To access this trial:
Go to www.worldvitalrecords.com
Find the area labeled “member login.”
Your user name will be: richard.tucey@pueblolibrary.org
Your password will be: library08
I recently found a couple of fascinating sites about the Chick name. If you are interested in checking them out:
Origin of Chick/Cheek surnames:
www.moonzstuff.com/articles/cheeksurname.html
and
Cheek/Chick DNA Project-haplogroups:
www.moonzstuff.com/dna/haplo.html
and they are written by someone named R. Moon!
After reading your blog I think it would so awesome to find some of the merkley side. I will have to go search.
AH! that is so cool!
You need to show me how to do such a cool blog like yours! I'm getting addicted!
WHat an awesome experience!!! I love those pictures - classic! That's what Ryan's family photos look like! Love it!
You are awesome Rachel!! I know what you mean it really does help us to understand ourselves better as we get to know our relatives. I need to get back into it. There really is a joy that we find from seeking after our ancestors!
Post a Comment