Saturday, November 20, 2010

Imagine Me and You, I Do

Today it's just me and Violet. Just the two of us.

How strange it feels to know that as I clean today, it will stay that way . . . I feel a little like I'm in some alternate reality.

Grandpa Chick came yesterday to do some video work with Nels. He left this morning with my three older girls. They wanted to go to Grandma and Grandpa Chick's house early. Nels, Vi, and I will follow - to spend Thanksgiving in Mountain Home. But for now, they have G&G all to themselves for a couple of days and since Nels went in to work today to finish up a project, Violet is napping, so I'm all alone.

I'm excited that as I get things cleaned up -- floors vacuumed and mopped, laundry washed, bathrooms cleaned -- they will remain so. I don't have to do all of that three times in the next 24 hours. It will be great (what will I do with all my extra time?!). But I must admit, although I trust my father-in-law implicitly, I am nervous. I get nervous every time we are split up as a family. I don't like it. I don't like that it's snowing.


I'm so excited for the coming week. We will get to spend some wonderful time with Nels's family. I realized yesterday that I don't think I've been to my in-laws house since maybe February -- maybe longer! I'm fairly certain that I've never taken Violet to their house. That is very weird. A testament to how our lives have changed since both girls have been in school and to how busy our summer was. As newlyweds and for the first several years of marriage, we made a trek to both our parents' homes once a month --- or at least every other month. We were gone at least one weekend a month traveling. Wow. How much money did we spend on gas!?

I love Nels's family. I'm excited to spend time with his parents and siblings. I love big families. I love holidays. I'm so thankful to have such a wonderful in-law family. I truly could not have asked for better. (We will miss you Melyni, Uncle Alma, and Cade!)


Wish me luck today. I'm not sure what to expect with just me and Violet. This is not something I've experienced in years. Hopefully I can spend my time wisely and then be able to enjoy the rest of my day preparing my Relief Society lesson and playing with my baby!

5 comments:

Deanna said...

Lucky, lucky!!! We'll keep them in our prayers...those roads to the West aren't supposed to be very good this weekend!!!

Maybe you should come and help me re-do my sewing table...but then, you have all this time to yourself! Do something for YOU! :)

Amber said...

SO JEALOUS! SO SO SO JEALOUS!

lynsey said...

such a fun thing....i love my mornings with leah & i only have two kids! but still, just getting that one on one time with me and her, we get to form a bond that isn't the same with her big brother around.

have a wonderful time with miss violet & then later on with those crazy chicks! happy thanksgiving my friend....i'm grateful for YOU!

Jandy Lou said...

What a wonderful thing! I love when Daeson is at school, I get Tev to myself and vice versa. It is so nice to have a few minutes by yourself, too. You of all people deserve that! I feel the same way when my family is split up...it stresses me out but I have to take a deep breath, say a prayer that it will all be okay and then I feel better!! have fun and be safe!

Anonymous said...

You totally deserve it! I hope you take a little time to do nothing but read or nap or something completely indulgent. Love you! Be safe on those Idaho roads, I know how they can be :) And Happy Thanksgiving!