Monday, November 22, 2010

San Diego 2: The Beach

Wow. Well, two and a half months after the fact, I'm going to attempt to finally finish posting about our San Diego vacation!! Hallelujah! Let's see if any of the details are still in this old brain of mine, shall we? 

The day dawned cool and grey, but that would never stop a bunch of Chicks from Idaho heading to the beach. :) I was pretty surprised at how much cooler the weather is next to the ocean as opposed to inland even a mile or two. However, regardless of the clouds and light breeze, we simply had a fabulous day together as a family. 

We first headed to one beach, but once we arrived, we read that the beach was closed due to a private fiesta--siesta that was going on. A very exclusive party. In fact, you had to have no earlobes and several inches of blubber encasing your body to be invited.



We all had lots of fun walking out of the concrete breakwater to get a better look at the cute seals. There were several babies and a few playing with each other out in the waves. Very cool to see them just doing their thing. After getting "sprinkled" by several big waves bringing in the tide, we decided to head over to La Jolla Beach.






What a lovely beach! The sand is silky-smooth and just perfect for body surfing. The water wasn't frigid, but Nels still never convinced me to go in any further than up to my knees. I'm getting wimpy in my old age. :) Had it been sunny, I would have been happy to oblige, but getting out of the cool water and sitting on a breezy, grey, 65 degree beach with a squirmy little baby, just didn't sound like any fun to me. :) Nels, however, jumped right in and started working on his body surfing technique. :)


A while later, he made friends with this kid 


who offered him the use of their extra boogie board. :) They spent about an hour and a half playing together. :)

Until they got eaten by some sharks.


Just kidding.


Just some dolthins. (As my children call them. :)

My little chickies, just loved everything about being there. They played

Sweet Hazel. Sea water is heavy! :)


and played



and played.



Hazel carried bucket after bucket of water up the beach to her sisters. :) So cute!


Violet really wanted to play and play as well, but I didn't feel like cleaning sand out of her diaper every time I changed her for the rest of the vacation, so she didn't get to eat nearly as much sand as she'd originally been anticipating. :) Poor baby.


She's pretty darn cute, huh?

Eventually my little shadow fell asleep in her car seat and the girls and I were finally able to play together.

It started with Lilie doing this . . .


Then moved on to this . . .


Then we decided to get a little more elaborate. 


'Cause like any true Utahn knows, 


if it's worth doing at all, then it's worth going overboard. :)


After the three of them broke free, they decided to make me into a SPINX. Yes. I typed that correctly.


All in all, our day at the beach together was wonderful. We were all sandy and fairly chilled when it came time to leave, but we had a lot of fun.

4 comments:

Alisha said...

Looks like a lot of fun! The beach sounds like the perfect place right now!

Amber said...

What fun!!! I love the awesome octapus and mermaids and spinx. =) What a cool family.

Gina said...

I love that Nels made a new buddy. :) Are they pen pals?

Looked like so much fun! Your family is darling.

Lindsey and Brett said...

It looks like you all had a great time. I love that picture of Nels body surfing. I can't believe how big Violet is getting! Cute family!