For the past hour, I've thought it was Monday. That's weird. I actually named my post "Monday, Monday". Wow. No wonder I'm going grey. I'm OLD!
This morning I feel like posting, however, I don't feel like posting about anything important. -- Like about the remainder of our California trip . . .
Last week was lovely. I had a few spray painting projects that I NEED to finish and it was perfect weather - in the 60s! I spent most of the week in my basement organizing my laundry room. I finally pulled out my projects on Saturday night as the sun was going down and it was hours from dropping down to freezing. I'm awesome like that. Monday it snowed all day.
And hasn't really stopped flurrying since. Winter has come. I don't know whether to wish it away and long for the sunny, warm days of last week, or just embrace it with gratitude that we were able to enjoy such a long Fall. Probably the latter, but {{sigh}}. The snow is heavy and wet and blanketing everything in a lovely way. The girls have been thoroughly enjoying it.
Since it's a lazy morning, I'll share with you a few of my most recent projects. Neither of them are ones I've been planning and working on for months. They were both spontaneous, random ones that I finished in a couple of hours. I love them.
First, my new lampshade. I've been stewing in my head for quite a while about how to make light, single layered ruffles without having them fray. With my ruffly pillow I never figured it out, but a couple weeks ago, I was making fabric flowers with a friend of mine and I had an epiphany. MELT the edges!! Hooray!! Cut the strips, melt the edges (only occasionally lighting my fabric aflame), and gather. Add some hot glue, a $5 drum shade, and you're done.
Easy and inexpensive. By the way, I love this lamp. I found it at a thrift store. It's very old and grandma-ish and totally my cup o' tea. I've debated about painting it, but I don't think I ever really will. I just love that milky-white glass and paint would probably just ruin it. Also, what do you think? Have I officially taken over any masculinity left in this room? Yes. Poor Nels. I don't think anyone "really understands how hard it is to be the only man in a house full of girls." (I'm not quoting anyone in particular, by the way. *wink* *wink*)
Second up is a spin off I made of this now popular English WWII poster.
I'd envisioned putting it in my bathroom, but when I hung it above my dresser, I couldn't bear to move it. :) I love the oval frame. It took me quite a while to find it, but the very day I was going to buy one off Etsy, I happened upon this perfect one at the DI. I love it when that happens. I'd originally planned to paint the frame white, but I'm not so certain now. As much as I've always abhorred goldy, brassy stuff, I actually kinda like it. What do you think?
Last of all, I'll just show you my last two little projects that are forever in the works and yet perfect just the way they are, all at the same time.
![]() |
| The look you get when the "anti red eye" flash goes off first. |
![]() |
| Ahh. The definition of Adorable. |
![]() |
| This kid loves her daddy's iPod. |













5 comments:
OH MY GOSH!!! I LOVE THAT PICTURE!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I am going to HAVE to make me a happy little sign. hmmmm....where to put it?
Rachel, I love the lamp shade! Wish I could have one in my house. But as you know, masculinity rules in my home. Being the only girl in a house of boys isn't always easy either. Pink and ruffles don't last long here. Your lamp looks great just as it is! The picture is great two, and your two other projects are absolutely gorgeous!
I LOVE the shade and ADORE that sign!!! Please share how you did it!!! Is it vinyl lettering??? It's GORGEOUS!!! Oh, man, I am in LOOOOOOVE!
I've decided. You're the type of person that will be talked about for generations because she's just so awesome that way. You really are. And I'm not saying that because of your decorating style either, I just thought it as I was reading your post and thinking about who you are as a person. Just thought I'd let you know!
Thanks for sharing! You did a wonderful job! 'Keep calm and sing a song' sounds totally like you! it's great!
Post a Comment