Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Snip, Snop, Chop!

There was much sadness and sighing throughout the day today. We had to say goodbye to a LOT of really beautiful blonde hair. It was a sad farewell.

Last night as I went to check on how the girls were doing at cleaning their room, I decided to assist them in just picking up their clothes. As I picked up the shirt Lilie had been wearing earlier in the day, I noticed it was covered with hair . . . what the??!! I lifted my eyes to see a pair of my scissors sitting on the dresser. 
"What happened here? Lilie, did you cut your hair?!" 
She promptly replied that she didn't.-------Hazel did. 
"Lilie asked me to!" Hazel defended. 
The rest of the conversation is not terribly important. Just know that it involved some yelling, crying, and spanking (Sad but true. Sometimes I'm a bad mom.) and Hazel claiming that she didn't know she shouldn't cut Lilie's hair (not true - as it has been a topic of conversation since she was two -- and was again reiterated two months ago when Lilie took a somewhat inconspicuous chunk out of her locks) and Lilie claiming that her hair just kept getting in her eyes. It wasn't a very happy conversation 
.
.
.
until I finally stepped back, looked at my two sad girls --- Lilie with three pajama tops on and six pairs of bottoms (she said her legs were cold), with no bangs and some interesting layering throughout her hair --- and started finally laughing. It was sad and ridiculous.


Arrows indicating just a FEW of the chop spots.

Do you see a difference here in the length!!??

What I later found hiding under the bed.


These pictures are BEFORE the gal ever started cutting.
Once again, SLIGHT difference in the thickness here, no?
Can you believe the length of her bangs!? And the two inch long pieces on top - and all around in various places? Sadness.
What to do?

It's a pretty darn good thing that she's so stinking cute.

Lilie's biggest regret is that I wasn't sure if we'd still be able to do "curly, curlies" as she calls them. :) Thankfully, flat irons are grand inventions that can even curl very short hair.
Aren't the headband and curls cute? I like it much better than straight.

As I said, she's so lucky she's cute!


Now, I don't know if any of you have noticed a theme to my Lilie over the past year or so of blogging, but I have. Often my posts about Lilie are "What the . . .!?" kind of moments. There's been a lot of marker and lipstick, lots of hysteria and crying. But you know what, inside that mad mom, there is a little girl that secretly understands this occasionally manic, destructive, sneaky child of mine. I'm sure many of you see glimpses of yourself in your children. It's the curse that all mothers put on their children. In each of them, I can see a bit of myself -- sometimes it's positive things, sometimes it's . . . not. With so many of the frustrating things they do, as irritating as it is, there is a part of me that understands it, that sympathizes.

Well. There is a reason why "don't ever cut your hair" has been a topic in our home since my children were old enough to . . . climb to where they could get scissors. Today was inevitable. I knew it was coming. I've known it since the moment I became a mother. I have tried to change fate. To avoid the unavoidable. 

There once was a mother who found her daughter --- like this . . .

Feb. 1985 - Unfortunately for my dear mother, 
the "Inside-out Mohawk" was not really in style in the mid-80's.


And each and every time I find a catastrophe that Lilie has created? I flash back to this moment in my history . . . 

Yes, my dear readers. That is oil paint and vaseline. 
I don't have a lot of clear memories from my childhood. Most are somewhat vague. But I tell you what, I can still close my eyes and remember standing at that sink, happy as a lark, and hearing my mother knock on the locked door and ask what I was doing. I can vividly remember the feelings of fear and dread that coursed through my little body as they unlocked the door and found me with my experiment. Isn't it a lovely picture? Still sporting my brand new do?

Yep. There's a part of me that understands my poor little daughter.

16 comments:

Wendie said...

Oh, Rachel! I LOVE this post. I really needed to laugh and smile tonight. It doesn't matter what the length of her hair is, Lilie is so stinking cute =). As I began reading this post, I thought of your childhood hair cut and the messes that you got yourself into and then as I scrolled down the page there were the beautiful photos that I was thinking about. It feels so good to laugh. Thanks.

Andrea said...

I love those mischievous pictures of you...that's really cool that someone thought to take pictures of those moments. And I love her hair...it's very hip. She has a sweet face so she can pull it off!

Life for the Pillings said...

This was great!!! I started laughing at the very start and I'm still laughing as I type! So FUNNY!! The best part is, is that I can totally hear your voice with the "What the?" and your whole conversation with Lilie and Hazel. I feel like I was in the room with you. You're girls crack me up. Genny is over and she was showing me the video she has of Hazel talking about her boy "school friend" that she sometimes sits by in class and they hold hands. It's the cutest ever.
I totally remember seeing you covered in oil paint and thinking "She is so dead - how is Mom ever going to get this cleaned up." Way cute. Lilie still looks as beautiful as ever. Tell her I think she is still very cute! Love Ya!

Hannah said...

Oh Rachel, what great laugh I had and I know I'm sure I'm in for some of this mischief! Lilie's ahir looks adorable, especially curled! And I love the headband! She'll just be the neww 4 year old trend setter in Idaho Falls! Just watch, it will be the newest thing!

Oh, and you crazy little imp! I would have bawled if I was your mother when you cut your hair like that!!!

Alisha said...

Lilly's hair turned out so cute but it is so sad to see all that beautiful hair go! I especailly loved the pics of you at that age! Great Post!

ClancyPants said...

Oh MAAAN!! Good post, Rach. Your posterity will thank you when their reading it in a book in years to come... ;)

That pic of you and your black hands looks like it should be in a magazine! LOL! It's so awesome. The perfect picture to describe scenarios little kids get themselves into and then realize how in trouble they'll be. Your crying face and your black hands... perfect!

And, speaking of perfect pictures, that one of Lillie with the headband on and her reflection in the mirror? PERFECT! You totally captured #1, the cuteness of her hair, and #2, the cuteness of her personality, and #3 how adorable she knows she is! lol!

Score for this post? Perfect 10!

Thomas Family said...

Wow, I can't tell if my tears are from laughing or crying. Such a funny post. We love you Rachel. and Lilie... :) So glad we could be in on this.

lynsey said...

oh this was hilarious! at least you took her to a professional to get it all straightened out. after MY sister got creative on MY hair with scissors i just got a lovely set of bangs before lloyd christmas on dumb & dumber made them cool.

i LOVE those pictures of you! and lilie looks so cute, i'm glad that through the trauma there's a beautiful little girl still smiling in the mirror!

Sara Newton said...

Oh man is this hilarious! I love it! Whoever fixed Lilie's hair is a genius! It doesn't even really look like her sister chopped off random little spots. That's great!

Darcie said...

I'm so sorry!!! I started to cry while reading this and knowing it will probably happen to me also and I'm not looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll be able to step back like you did..

The Webber's said...

Rachel, I couldn't help but not only smile, but laugh at this! All good sisters help cut eachother's hair - this is soemthing I've learned from experience and from teaching preschool. It's only a matter of time for mine I assume.

Just be grateful it was AFTER Christmas :)

You're girls are so stinkin cute - and HUGE! I just can't get over how big Hazel and Lilie are as I read and look at this - it's like they're still supposed to be 1 and 3 or something!

Jessica said...

I dont get to laugh out loud very often but I LOVED the similarities between you and your daughter. It all rings sooo true!

Amber said...

Oh my gosh!!! I have never laughed so hard while reading a blog!!!! By the way, in my opinion she looks a lot like you. And when I saw the picture of Lilie with her hair all chopped I immediatly remembered you doing the same thing and having a similiar hair cut. LOL!!! Like mother like daughter. I guess you deserve it =).

Rachel Holloway said...

SOOOO FUNNY! Yet SOOO true! I totally remember those moments of "uh-oh" while growing up...

Thanks for sharing the flashback. I totally have some pics like that...

She looks SO cute though! That's a plus!

Lunar daughter said...

Rachel, thanks for the good laugh! Your hands were so black - wow! I remember having several really bad haircuts after trying to cut my own bangs and hair. It's great that you have photos of you and your daughter.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh. I will have to blog about New York. As soon as I get the internet. I am just working 12 hour days, and today, waiting for the train from work. I thought I would catch up a little bit on the fam. I love it!!. Again, good laugh!