Tuesday, January 27, 2009

It's not that cold . . . .


Southeast Idaho is always cold in the winter. That's the nature of where I live. In Rexburg, for college students that live up on the hill, it's really bad as the wind blows across the rolling wheat fields, tunneling right past your apartment door. One winter was SO bad - it seemed WEEKS of blowing ice as you walk to and from school. Then one morning, the wind stopped. It was heavenly. I stepped out my apartment door, just as the sun was about to rise in the beautiful clear sky. It was stunning. I thought, "Nice. It's not that cold this morning." I climbed into the car, turned the key, and the radio comes on --- with it's annoying morning DJ's. ". . . . . it's negative TWENTY in Rexburg this morning . . . . "

WHAT THE . . . . .?!

Negative TWENTY is NOT THAT COLD???

Idaho has killed all my nerve endings. I can no longer accurately feel freezing death! 

Since that time, seven years ago (HOLY CRAP! Seven years?!), I have learned that once you get much past negative 7 or 8 the actual temperature is pretty null. 

This morning, Nels went out to turn on his car before leaving to work as he came in, I asked him if he almost died while out there. He said, "You know, it's cold, but it's not that cold . . . not as cold as I expected."

Well, as I was listening to the news tonight, this morning, Idaho Falls set a new record for January 27th. 

-29

Yeah. It's not that cold.

6 comments:

Sara Newton said...

Um...yikes

Sara Newton said...

Um...yikes

Amber said...

Yep, your a numb bum now =).

Jessica said...

Your posts crack my up!! Not that cold, I am whinning over here at lows in the teens. I have a sister at BYU I and she had to walk to school yesterday in -11 BRRRR you guys can keep that!!!

Hannah said...

HAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAA- oh my gosh! Those days in Rexburg were KILLER!!! I remember that my nose hairs froze evry time I stuck my head out the door and that I had to immediately strip all of my outer layers of when I walked back into my apartment because I felt like I was sweating to death from walking up that ridiculous hill!!!

-29 man!!! Yeah, I guess it could be worse! LOL!!!

Lisa said...

LOL! Yes. Cold. Relative term. Love the post. I laughed pretty good. Did you take that picture? It is awesome.