Thursday, August 30, 2012

A Decade

As a teenager, I can remember my sister Melissa, 2 1/2 years older, scolding me about the disorder in which I kept my bedroom.

"Rachel. You are such a slob. No one is ever going to want to marry you." :)

At 15, I'm not going to lie, getting married was not on my radar. Boys? Yes, please. But keeping a clean room to catch man? Nope. :) Melissa was always the romantic. Get married, have babies, decorate your own house. She regularly talked about her future.

Not me.

Especially as a teenager and young adult, I lived very much in the "now". I loved (and still love) living my life with all the passion and joy that I can TODAY.

I met Nels when I was 19 and we started dating a month before my 20th birthday.

We started dating and I gave my whole heart to Nels. He consumed my thoughts and all of my "live in the moment"ness. We were more twitterpated than I've ever seen anyone.

After dating for a month and a half, we were hinting at marriage. :) By the middle of June, we were engaged.

But even then, it was never about getting married or about being a wife or a mom.

It was about being with Nels. About being his.

There was nothing I'd ever wanted more in the whole world. I wanted to be with him.

-------------

Last Friday evening I walked through Kootenai (tiny town located next to Sandpoint - and where Coldwater's head office is located) after dropping off our moving truck. Nels had a couple of things to finish up at work before heading out for our date, and so I told him I'd just walk over and meet him there. The sun was setting so beautifully over the mountains and I was clearly reminded of ten years ago - almost to the minute - saying yes to that handsome man. To becoming HIS forever.

Probably the best decision I've ever made in my whole life.

The four older girls were at Aunt Tracy's house for a couple of days and my mama had come up to help us move, so she stayed with Clara while Nels and I had a night to ourselves.

We got a room up at Schweitzer. We'd been moving all day and so after cleaning up and brushing the sweaters off our teeth, we headed out into the village to get some dinner - only to find that everything had closed at 8:30.

We decided not to starve, and drove the 20 minutes back down the mountain to a local pub named Icardt's for dinner. It was so good and SO fun! They had a jazz band performing that night. It was awesome. I've decided that although I really dislike listening to jazz music on the radio, I REALLY like watching it. We also determined that where we live is really cool and made a long list of all the things we'd like to do in the next year.

The whole evening was wonderful and I loved getting the time alone with my best friend. I'm so incredibly thankful for the beautiful life that we have built together.

I can say without a doubt, there is not one moment in ten years that I've regretted that decision I made. He is my perfect match in every way.

Thank you, Nels. I love you today even more than I did then.

4 comments:

Lindsey and Brett said...

You two are so cute. :) I'm sure I've said it before, and I know I don't have to tell you, but Nels is one of the good ones. I'm glad that he got a good one, too. :)

Amber said...

LOVE this post! You are a beautiful match! CONGRATULATIONS you two little movers =). And I am glad to hear you have a list. You will have to share it sometime soon.

Life for the Pillings said...

Why do you always have to remind me and others of how horrible you thought I was to you? ;) I wasn't always mean, we had a lot of fun times too... You need to bring those times up, those are the ones I remember. Other note, congratulations on ten years!! Sorry that that week was so hetic for you. I love you Rachel. Nels and you are such a cute couple and you have an awesome family. Good luck this week on staring to put life back together. I really wish I could be thereto help out. Love ya!

Wendie said...

Like :)