Tuesday, December 28, 2010

I Cry the Day that I Take the Tree Down

Well, Elsie does, anyway.

{sigh}

Christmas is over. And I have to say, this year I'm actually ready for it. That seems so sad, really, but this past month has been so busy and chaotic, that I'm ready for the slow down that inevitably comes with January and February. 

We went to Utah for Christmas. Spent the holiday in Kamas at our family cabin. Enjoyed the snow, the fireplaces, the games, and most of all our family together. It was lovely. I love my family. I love snow for Christmas. I'll write more about it when I upload my pictures in the next few days.

We got home late Sunday night and Nels ended up not needing to go in to work yesterday! Hooray! He helped me rearrange the basement and I helped him string cables through our ceiling --- his shoulders are just too big to fit into the holes made by our basement light fixtures. :) We set up the keyboard that my parents gave us and Hazel and Lilie have been playing "Mario songs" ever since. :) Hazel is convinced that she ought to be able to play real songs from real books by now, you know, since she's learned some notes in her music class and all. :) Sweet girl. 

Today I put our Nativity set and decorations away. Unstrung the lights and took the tree out to the road. All the while, Elsie was crying and getting mad at me. "I just love our Trismas tree! I love it. I want it to stay in our house forever!!!" Well, Elsie, the Christmas Tree will die in the house and drop all its green off and just be a stick. Do you want it to die? "No! I just love our tree! Don't take the lights off MOM!!!" Do you want to help me put your angel away? "NO!!" Christmas will come again next year and we'll get a new tree. "No! I want this tree. I love it! This is a dumb Trismas." 

It was awesome. I finally was able to quench the wailing and tears by telling her that the Christmas tree needed to go home to be with its mommy and daddy in the mountains. That next Christmas we would be able to go find it again, but it needed to go home to its family. I told her that we would stand the Tree up in the snow by the road and it would stay with us for a few more days until someone came to give it a ride home.  :) Poor kid. It was very traumatic. 

3 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

haha, that's pretty cute!

I too have to say I am ready for the takedown...ready to reclaim my precious space! And ready to get through the next slow months so that spring can come and we can be back to sunshine and warm weather! Not that I am trying to rush anything.... :)

Alisha said...

How cute! I love your little story that you told Elsie!

I find myself quite the opposite this year. I don't want to put anything away! It requires to much energy...LOL! That and I'm just enjoying it this year!

Amber said...

Ah...she sounds like me. I hate to take down the Trismas decorations. Tell Elsie she has my greatest sympathy.