Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sliding Around the Christmas Tree


Two Saturdays ago, we drove up past Swan Valley to get our Christmas tree. Last year was our first time doing this and it was so much fun, that we wanted to do it again.

It was SUCH a beautiful day! New snow had fallen and everything up in those mountains was quiet and covered in perfection. ---- Okay, my kids weren't quiet, but everything else seemed to be. :)

We drove around for quite a while, looking for the perfect spot to get our tree.
--- Because that's the way I do things. ---
We stopped several times on the side of the road,
I'd get out, tromp off up some path (through thigh deep snow),
enjoy nobody talking at me and how clean and quiet everything felt,
hear Nels calling to me to make sure I wasn't eaten by any of the snowshoe hares about,
sweat profusely while seeing if there were any "keepers" in that area,
crawl back to the van on my hands and knees (so my feet would stop sinking into the snow,
brush off,
and drive to a new spot.

Okay, so that only happened twice, but it was still fun for me. I really do love the snow.

At that point, we drove back down the mountain a ways, to the first spot I'd thought about stopping. --Because that's the way I do things.-- See something I like, spend about 5 times more time checking every other option to make SURE that I like the first thing best, and then go back to the first thing. I'm cool like that. :) We all got out and bundled up and were able to take an easy walk up a road, packed down by numerous snowmobiles, right to the tree that we liked the best.




The tree was up on a hill and after cutting it, Nels and the tree got to slide down.


The girls decided that this was such a fabulous idea that they made quite the track to slide down. Over and over and over again.






It reminded me SO much of being a kid and playing in the snow at our cabin! SO FUN!

 Hazel practicing her sawing skills. :)

 Lilie showing off her snow tunnel skills.

 Elsie. Eating pure snow. :) All she really wanted to do, actually.



Poor Violet! I'm not actually sure how much of our Winter Wonder-land she actually got to SEE! LOL!

5 comments:

Alisha said...

What fun! My family use to go hunt for a tree every year but Anthony and I decided that the strain of it was to much for our marriage! LOL!! He's like you and likes to go back to the first one he sees and I'm more impulsive and just picks whatever! Nels is way more patient than I am!! LOL!! Maybe we will try again when the kids get bigger!

Perry's said...

We also do this every year. We love it. It is a great tradition to have.

Deanna said...

your tree is beautiful. I've been thinking about how gorgeous it is since I stopped by last week. :)

Thomas Family said...

oh I am so so jealous! That is my absolute favorite christmas tradition. I told Mark this year that we just couldn't live in AZ because home depot just doesn't cut it and I WILL have that tradition be a part of our Christmas! Love ALL the pictures and all the posts!

Amber said...

Awesome! YOu have a beautiful family! Love you cousin.