Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Amazing Flying Lilie!

Before I completely forget, I just need to record that a couple months ago, Lilie learned to fly.

One of the men that works for Nels (on top of being an awesome cop - who reminds me whenever my registration has expired) owns his very own plane. I sweet little single engine plane named Matilda. He took Lilie and me up for about 45 minutes. Flying around the foothills above Idaho Falls.

Lilie. was. in. heaven.

She asked where Calyifornia (yes. Calyifornia) was - believing that surely if we were up that high, we could see it. Asked all about why there are big circles all over the ground, with black dots inside them - courtesy of center pivot irrigation systems and grazing cattle. Got a bird's-eye-view of dozens of gigantic windmills. Laughed and laughed and laughed. Loved breathing and singing into the headsets. :)

As for me. I have realized that the old grey mare, just ain't what she used to be. I rode in a small plane when I was a senior in high school and loved it. I even took the controls for a few minutes.

No. More.

There were several moments of holding on tight to the seat and closing my eyes as we bounced along invisible "air bumps" and there was absolutely NO WAY I was going to touch the controls. :) By the time we got ready to land, I'd relaxed quite a bit and I really did enjoy the ride, but I think I have too many responsibilities (i.e. CHILDREN) and have followed Stephanie Nielson's story for too long to fully erase all the nervousness from my chest and stomach while hundreds of feet up in the air. :)

Nonetheless, I am so thankful that Mike was willing to share the experience with us.

I will never forget the look on her face.

4 comments:

Deanna said...

WHat a cutie!!!

Alisha said...

What fun! I think I would be like you...I hate to fly even in a big plane! LOL!

Rachel Holloway said...

I can totally understand the nervousness!!! But she really does look totally cute there! :)

Amber said...

Way to go flying Lilie!! You look GREAT!