This last Spring I put Hazel and Lilie on the waiting list for a local public charter school, Taylor's Crossing. It's a good school, I liked what I observed of their teaching style, the classes are slightly smaller, and I think the teachers are awesome at meeting the needs of each individual student. Their curriculum has a strong focus in American History and the Constitution as well and I liked that. That being said, our local Falls Valley elementary school is great. I love the teachers and the staff and Hazel loved being there last year.
When I got our letter, confirming our application to Taylor's Crossing, we were informed that Hazel was #8 on the waiting list for first grade and Lilie was #37 for kindergarten. Needless to say, we were just fine with them both attending Falls Valley this year.
However on the 18th, we got a call from Taylor's Crossing saying that Hazel had moved to the top of the list and if we wanted, there was a place for her. They had also started school that day. The next morning, we got all ready and took her over to check out the school and meet her teacher. All her nervousness and fears of a new school melted away as soon as she met Mrs. Crocker. She decided that she was ready to start that day and has been happy with her choice. She adores her new teacher. She loves eating lunch at school. She has made lots of new friends. She just loves learning and school in general.
I think it will be a slight pain to have the girls in different schools this year, but next year, Lilie should be able to attend TC as well. Besides, I'd still be running all around all the time anyway with Lilie only being at school half the day.
Falls Valley started school a full week and a half later than Taylor's Crossing and now the day has come that not only ONE, but TWO of my children leave me to head out into the lone and dreary world alone . . .
. . . she's just too little to go to school, isn't she?? She still speaks with a lisp for heaven's sake. I've tried to convince her for weeks that she should just stay home with me. That she doesn't know how to count or read or know all her letters or numbers. That she doesn't know her name or how to spell it. That she doesn't know all her shapes and that she doesn't know how to do calculus --- not even algebra.
She's just too little to go to Kindergarten.
However on each point (other than the last two, we'll have to give her another year or so for those :) she proved me wrong. And truth to tell, I don't know WHAT her teacher IS going to teach her in Kindergarten.
Oh, Lilie. If you hadn't been so destructive as a three year old, I think I would have given you whatever potion it would have taken to leave you there. I think you will always be three in my mind's eye.
And my sweet Hazel. How did she get to be nearly seven years old? How did she start thinking that she could leave me ALL DAY? That she's big enough to eat school lunch and sometimes even RIDE A BUS?? AH!
. . . just kidding. This year has not been nearly so dramatic. I'm a little sad to see them both off, but at the same time, I know from experience that three hours in the morning is not so long . . . and with Hazel even the seven hours she's gone isn't too bad . . .
wait.
SEVEN HOURS??? {{{sigh}}}
Okay. enough of that.
Because of the unexpected nature of Hazel starting school so early, I never did get a "first day of school" picture of her. However, we did get a couple of cute shots of both the girls as they headed out the door this morning.
Oh goodness. Looking at those two smiling little faces . . . I'm so happy for the new things they'll learn this year. So happy that they're healthy. So happy for all the growth that is ahead of them. So happy for the good that they add and will continue to add to this world.
But.
When I look at those two little faces . . . there's a big part of me that just wants to hold them forever.
{{{Insert sad and nostalgic feelings here.}}}
Good thing I've still got these two Yay-Hoo's at home with me!
I guess now THEY'LL just have to stay little forever . . . :)





7 comments:
*Sigh*
I'll have to tell you about my school saga/drama or maybe, MAYBE I'll blog about it. Not makin' any promises. I'm only going to have my little Baby B this year. And I just dropped Mac off for his first day of 5TH GRADE!!! How weird is THAT? Weird. Very weird.
geez, you just about had me in tears with this post and NONE of mine are even going to school this year. :) Life experiences are amazing - to say the least.
Wow, I just caught up on your blog. I have been out of town and I was thrilled to see that you got your beans canned. Good job! Your life has been especially busy this week. I am feeling nervous to start Daeson in K. Tevan goes to preschool, too. He is so tiny, but so bored at home with me! Sigh. This week should slow down some, we hope! Your girls are so pretty and they look so ready for school. Good job, Rachel!
Oh my goodness. You don't want me to start thinking about kids (my kid) getting older. I'll burst into tears.
I can't believe Hazel and Lils are that old. But I can imagine how excited they are for school!
I felt the same way when I dropped Peter off for his first day of school last week! There he was, all excited and proud, and there I was, trying so hard not to cry! You have amazing girls!!
Sadness my kids start in 3 days! I am so not ready for this. waaaaaa!!!!!!
Can't believe how fast they grow up!! But at least you do still have two little ones at home, who will grow up too fast, too. But for now they're small:)
Post a Comment