![]() |
| Nels and his buddy, Garth. He got to spend the evening with Garth, Trisha Yearwood, their daughter, Steve Wynn and a bunch of other "VIPs". |
This past weekend I packed up the kids and headed to Utah. Nels had been hired to run a camera at a couple of Country concerts (Sara Evans and Garth Brooks) and I just didn't want to be alone for another weekend.
Off we went. The air conditioning in our van wasn't working when we bought it from my parents and we just haven't been able to justify the expense when it's only needed for maybe two months out of the year. I must say, I was second guessing my decision as we left Idaho Falls at 3:00 in the afternoon - just as the temperature was reaching 95 degrees! Ugg. It only got hotter as we traveled further South and by the time we pulled into Bountiful, we were all melted little puddles in our seats. Violet, true to form, just sweetly slept nearly the entire ride and then just looked around at her sisters the rest of the time. She is such a sweet natured baby!
We got to attend a fun going away party for my cousin, Garrett, and his wife Jocelyn that night. It is always so wonderful to get together with my family! I love them so much and I'm so thankful for the sweet relationships that I have with my cousins. We'll miss you guys! Be sure to start your blog soon! :)
Saturday we spent the day playing with cousins and Grandma. Mostly I just followed my mom around her yard talking about all the flowers in her LOVELY garden and eventually making our way to the nursery. What a wonderful way to spend a Saturday. We wanted to go to the zoo, but 100+ degree weather . . . let's just say, we scratched that plan fast. :)
Sunday my Uncle Richard passed away. After dinner my parents went down to be with my Aunt Norma. The girls and I spent the evening lounging on the back patio and looking for snails. :) Which they dunked in their "snail swimming pool" -- complete with salt water. :) They also made them a "Snail Hotel" but the snails seemed to be having such a wonderful time foaming relaxing in their salty grave pool, that they just couldn't haul themselves to their hotel beds. :) Every time I turned my back on them all weekend long, the girls pulled out the plastic cups, scissors, and tape. Making more and more "creations". My! What "creative" children I have. From alien hats to dumb bells to snail hotels -- I bet you never knew so many things could be made from red plastics cups! :)
It was a great little getaway to break up the monotony of the past few weeks of constant cleaning and weeding and mowing and watering and feeding and washing. We came home this morning and as I was getting lunch and later dinner for the girls, the weirdest thing happened. I realized that I wasn't waiting or thinking about Nels getting home. I wasn't constantly looking at the clock, counting the minutes until he would walk in the door. I realized that doing it all on my own (and all the craziness that entails) felt totally normal. And I couldn't even imagine what it felt like to have it be different. Sad, huh? I really can hardly remember what it feels like to have a husband! Or to not go to bed alone. It's very strange.
As he's flitted in and out of the house at random times over the past many weeks, we say, "Hey! This was fun. We should do it again sometime." "Thanks for coming over. Call me again next time you're passing through!" "Thanks for dinner. It was nice to catch up!"
What a strange time in our lives.

3 comments:
Oh, Rachel! I had a breakdown WITH my husband home, and was feeling so sorry for myself last night...I guess it's never greener on the other side. :)
Hugs! You're inspiring!!!
And you just keep that in mind, that this IS just a phase of life and that it will pass and that you are managing it like a champ. Seriously. I love your house - even when it's messy. :) You have such a knack for decorating. Your kitchen just looks like such a happy place. Yellow has a special place in my heart. Someday I will have a yellow kitchen. And for the record. I gave up on dinnertime a long time ago. :)
Whenever I start feeling overwhelmed, I read your blog and feel better! You make me feel like what I'm going through well be okay! Thanks for being awesome!
Post a Comment