Friday, March 12, 2010

Violet Emily Chick


Violet Emily Chick
March 9, 2010 - 5:27pm
7 lbs. 8 oz.
19 3/4 in.

Our little Violet finally decided to make her debut in the world this last Tuesday and we are all SO EXCITED!!! She is beautiful and healthy and LOVED. She's got a fuzzy head of dark blonde hair and fuzz just about everywhere else too! :) On her back, her ears, her cheeks . . . so cute and soft.

I'd been having contractions -- for weeks :) -- but all weekend particularly. When I went in to my midwife appointment on Monday, I was dilated to 3 cm -- a huge improvement over the week before -- and my midwife asked if I wanted to have my membranes stripped -- to see if that helped move things along. Of course I did and then had nice, hard, regular contractions throughout the remainder of the day. However, as the night wore on and we were getting the girls to bed and preparing to mobilize the troops and go to the hospital, they slowed down considerably. By about 10, they were about 7-10 minutes apart and not nearly as hard as they'd been earlier. Exhausted and frustrated I finally went to bed, with contractions remaining at about that consistency throughout the night.

Needless to say, the next morning, I was TIRED and . . . irritable (read Sleep-Deprived Maniac). I called my sweet mother to cry for a while and then got on with the day, continuing to have less than promising contractions. Finally around 11:30 I called my midwife again to ask her what she would be willing to do for me. :) I'd wanted to go natural with this baby, but was afraid that if I continued along the road I was presently on, by the time I actually went into "real" labor I would be so exhausted I'd not be able to go through with it. Sweet woman that she is, she told me that if I had dilated to at least a 4 in the last 24 hours (which was very likely), she'd break my water for me and admit me to the hospital. She said to bring Nels and my bag and just plan on staying. HALLELUJAH! My mom arrived to stay with my girls and we were off.

We arrived at Helene's office around 2:30, she broke my water at about 3:00, and we were admitted and in a room at the hospital by 4:00 with instructions to call her as soon as I felt like I needed her help. Contractions were hurting quite a bit by this point, but I didn't want to jump the gun, so I decided to go sit in the hospital's jacuzzi tub for a while before calling. :) It felt wonderful, but I still spent the next hour or so trying to "be in the zone" - or something. :) Mostly trying to listen to my body, zone Nels out, and trying to not want to kill the nurse every time she'd peek her head in to ask me another question or want to check the baby's heart rate again, right in the middle of another contraction. All the while, wondering if I was making the right decision and could I really do this. Nels assured me (when I wasn't telling him to be quiet :) that I could, that I already was doing it, and that if I decided not to, he was absolutely fine with that. **He's such a wonderful husband.** 

After about an hour, I came to a point where I felt like every time I twitched a muscle, I was having another unbearable contraction, with no breathing room in between. I was exhausted. I concluded that I, in fact, could NOT continue to do this and I didn't need to. I was going to get an epidural and go to sleep --- if only I could get out of that darn tub without ripping into a million little pieces in the process. LOL! After what felt like one long, unbearable contraction all the way from the jacuzzi to my room, we made it. We were followed in by my midwives, who'd just gotten there. After another contraction, I turned around to greet them and told them that I didn't want to do this anymore -- I didn't think I could. Helene smiled sweetly and said, "That just fine. Let's see how far along you are." In the time that it took us to have this two sentence conversation, I started having another contraction and realized that I knew EXACTLY how far along I was! Just kidding about the epidural, I think she's coming RIGHT NOW! Three or four pushed later, our little Violet was welcomed into this world by a STUNNED mother and a SHOCKED father. LOL! Thank goodness Helene and Karen hadn't waited until I called them!!

I just couldn't believe that I did it! And the midwives told my dear friend who had an appointment with them the following day, that the look on Nels's face was priceless. :) It was just SO FAST! None of my labors have been long ones, but this one was definitely a very different experience. :) Nels asked me about half an hour after she'd been born if I'd do it this way again. I told him that my opinion at the moment was more than a little jaded and to not ask such questions for about six months. :) However I can say, even three days later, that I would absolutely do it this way again. It was such an incredible, empowering experience. Intense and painful and like nothing else on the planet - but one that I will never, ever forget. The only thing that I would have done differently is to have had the sense to call my midwife earlier, so that she could help me understand better what exactly my body was doing. That during that period of "every muscle twitch is causing me to have another contraction" - it actually meant that I was pretty much done. :) She told me afterward that generally by the time women (who have had more than one baby) get to the point that they think they can't do it and want drugs, they are already done and ready to push. :)



I am so thankful for my sweet Nels. He was there for me just as I needed him to be - even when I was telling him to be quiet or to stop touching me or to stop making me laugh. :) He is my best friend and confidant in every way. I'm so thankful to have been blessed to bring another child into this world with him at my side. FOUR KIDS!!! Holy cow. We are not a "little" family anymore!


Isn't she so beautiful?! We love our little Violet!

19 comments:

Thomas Family said...

Congratulations! I felt the same way after having Wilson - our bodies are simply amazing. I'm really glad I read your story because I have been dreading having this baby in the hospital after having Wilson in a birthing center and now that I know you can put up with the annoying nurse over and over maybe I can do it too. :) And Violet is beautiful - oh I am so baby hungry and I LOVE her name! Congratulations again. You are amazing!

Rachel Holloway said...

She is ABSOLUTELY precious! SERIOUSLY beautiful...

And hooray for you and going natural! WAY TO BE! I am always impressed with women who can do that.

Rachel said...

She is so, so beautiful. Congrats! And way to go for going natural! We need to stop by some time and see her!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congrats! I was so excited on Tuesday when Mark called and Nels was like, "Uh, she was born an hour ago!" LOL I can't wait to meet her! She is so beautiful! Husbands are great aren't they? And I think you're amazing for doing it all with no drugs. Me, I'll never try it without drugs!!

lynsey said...

wow, i was on the edge of my seat the whole time!! you are amazing and SHE is beautiful! she looks like hazel did to me, but maybe that's because she's the only one of your newborns i've seen close-up so it's all i have to compare her to, but especially in the first picture.

i love the name too! actually just a couple of months ago my sister was talking about how she names her babies after our parents & in-laws & she said that her MIL who's name is violet (but she goes by Vi) was up next and i said, "you know? i think violet is a really really cute little girl's name." and actually brought it up to ben as one on my baby's names list.

so look at THAT! we're in sync!

anyway, congratulations again...you are a total rock star. i hope that at some point i can actually TRY natural childbirth & not have my labors go all wonky so that i don't even get the chance to make the decision!

Deanna said...

She is the prettiest baby girl I've ever seen!!!!! Reading about your experience makes me REALLY want to do the 'natural' thing. :) I've had to be induced a week after due dates and had epidurals, but you make it sound so easy!!! :) THank you for inspiring me. :)

renee' said...

I've been wondering all week! I figured that something must be happening since you hadn't posted otherwise. :) A huge congratulations to you and Nels. It really is a team effort.

I loved that you shared about her birth. So many memories of Will's birth came flooding back to my memory. I did the bath thing too and then decided it was just too much and called the nurse to get an epidural-only to be told it was too late and to not push until they got the dr. Anyway...long story, but so similar to yours. I'm just hoping next time (if we get lucky) that I don't have to be induced and I can go all natural without the pitocin.

She really is perfect and precious. Enjoy her and the time with your sweet mom. What a huge blessing!

Lots of love to your family!

Lisa said...

Yay for you!! Congratulations. She is beautiful. And thanks for sharing your experience. I had to chuckle at a few things, you are awesome! We look forward to meeting little Violet.

ClancyPants said...

You know I love you. And you know I love this story. And you know I love that sweet baby and her head full of light colored hair. I'm sorry if I was a weirdo when I visited you in the hospital! But I am glad you enjoyed my post so much today because I enjoyed the feelings of excitement coursing through my body and I am so happy to be excitedly anticipating the arrival of my own little one!

♥ you!
C

Sara Newton said...

Is it weird that I absolutly LOVE her lips? Because they look great! I've never noticed a child's lips before, so Violet is the first. You amaze me! Good job! You give me a little motivation to do it on my own next time!

Nels Chick said...

The most incredible part of the story, is the Rachel gave birth to Violet...STANDING UP! That's Hard Core! I love you lady! You're my hero!

Jessica Raber said...

Congrats! That sounds a lot like my third (last) She was the first one I had all natural, but if I had it to do again, I would do it all natural if at all possible..in a lot of ways its a LOT easier!

Megan said...

Congratulations and good work, mama! YOU DID IT! It's not as bad as you think once it's all over, right? I completely agree with the nurses... at the point where you want the drugs, you are past ready and things will be over so fast. This was just like me and Noah... broken water at 3:00, born at 5:30. Emma on the other hand - broken water at 3:00, born at 4:30! That one was really fast.

I'm proud of you. I can't believe you have four kids. Congrats again and I love, love, love her name. She is beautiful!

Alisha said...

Hurray!!! I am so happy for you! You are completely awesome for doing the natural thing! I am such a baby I don't think that I could ever do that! The contractions when I am only just starting are killer for me! Major wuss! I know! She is beautiful!

Perry's said...

Congrats on the sweet baby girl. She is so beautiful. Sorry I missed your call when you called to tell me.
I agree, I had drugs with Hannah and went natural with Rya. It hurts so bad. But it is worth it in the end. I think you feel better after natural then you do with drugs. I love you to death. She is so beautiful. And congrats to you Nels. What a great man.

Wendie said...

She. Is. Beautiful. I'm so glad that I had the privilege of cradeling her in my arms for a while yesterday. Congratulations, again! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I just have to agree with all the other comments--beautiful baby, inspiring mama, and wonderful daddy! What a great family! We are so happy for you! I love that our babies could be friends someday.

I must say that my favorite comment on here so far is Nels'. Birthing her standing up is quite a "rock star" moment. Love you!

Amber said...

What a doll!!! I love her cute blonde fuzzy head. So adorable. What an angel.

Standing up!?! Wow, you are hard core!!! Way to go Mama!!! You Rock!!!

siddoway said...

you have inspired me to try natural with my next. I loved the story, it was like reading an action story. I love your blog! =) she is such a cute little babe, but that is no surprise, all of your girls are beautiful. congrats again and we hope to meet little violet this summer! take care=)