Thursday, October 2, 2008

Creativity

This last Saturday I had that opportunity to attend the General Relief Society Meeting. What a fabulous, uplifting meeting! How grateful I am for inspired leaders and dear sisters that help me to see . . . just to see more clearly. I loved each of the talks given. Sister Beck (at least what I remembered most) encouraged us each to extend ourselves, S T R E T C H to be even better. I loved it! But the talk I appreciated most was President Uchtdorf's talk on creativity and compassion. I LOVED it. I need to read it again and have time to think more about it.

As I talked to my wonderful cousin, Amber, today, she pointed out something to me that was like a light bulb going on in my little brain. I love her for the different perspective that she gives me! :) For the past while now I have felt, I don't know, just not all the way complete. I don't know how else to describe it. - - - I LOVE being a mother, I LOVE being a wife and when I look realistically at the past 2 years, we've actually been doing fine. -- There's just been this tension --- and mostly just inside ME. I have wonderful, happy days with my children and my dear husband. Wonderful friendships and family that fill my life. My home is not usually a disaster per se. In the back of my mind - I've just felt a little off -- a little -- cramped. ((shrug))

Well, as I was talking about (hmmm...what WERE we talking about specifically??? I don't remember!) whatever, she brought up Elder Uchtdorf's talk. Basically saying, "Rachel, he tells us right there that creating is an essential part of who we are." I have been SO BUSY with life that over the past 2 years, I have hardly had an ounce of time to just freely create some of the things that I love - to express myself. I haven't had time to sew or crochet or recover my chair (for which I have all the fabic, I just haven't had time!) or make curatins for Elsie's room or CREATE the laundry room that I can envision. I think I've just been putting my own expression on the backburner.

Part of his talk:

The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before.

Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty.

Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty—and I am not talking about the process of cleaning the rooms of your teenage children.

You might say, “I’m not the creative type. When I sing, I’m always half a tone above or below the note. I cannot draw a line without a ruler. And the only practical use for my homemade bread is as a paperweight or as a doorstop.”

If that is how you feel, think again, and remember that you are spirit daughters of the most creative Being in the universe. Isn’t it remarkable to think that your very spirits are fashioned by an endlessly creative and eternally compassionate God? Think about it—your spirit body is a masterpiece, created with a beauty, function, and capacity beyond imagination.

But to what end were we created? We were created with the express purpose and potential of experiencing a fulness of joy. Our birthright—and the purpose of our great voyage on this earth—is to seek and experience eternal happiness. One of the ways we find this is by creating things.

If you are a mother, you participate with God in His work of creation—not only by providing physical bodies for your children but also by teaching and nurturing them. If you are not a mother now, the creative talents you develop will prepare you for that day, in this life or the next.

You may think you don’t have talents, but that is a false assumption, for we all have talents and gifts, every one of us. The bounds of creativity extend far beyond the limits of a canvas or a sheet of paper and do not require a brush, a pen, or the keys of a piano. Creation means bringing into existence something that did not exist before—colorful gardens, harmonious homes, family memories, flowing laughter.

What you create doesn’t have to be perfect. So what if the eggs are greasy or the toast is burned? Don’t let fear of failure discourage you. Don’t let the voice of critics paralyze you—whether that voice comes from the outside or the inside.

If you still feel incapable of creating, start small. Try to see how many smiles you can create, write a letter of appreciation, learn a new skill, identify a space and beautify it.

Nearly a century and a half ago, President Brigham Young spoke to the Saints of his day. “There is a great work for the Saints to do,” he said. “Progress, and improve upon and make beautiful everything around you. Cultivate the earth, and cultivate your minds. Build cities, adorn your habitations, make gardens, orchards, and vineyards, and render the earth so pleasant that when you look upon your labors you may do so with pleasure, and that angels may delight to come and visit your beautiful locations. In the mean time continually seek to adorn your minds with all the graces of the Spirit of Christ.”

The more you trust and rely upon the Spirit, the greater your capacity to create. That is your opportunity in this life and your destiny in the life to come. Sisters, trust and rely on the Spirit. As you take the normal opportunities of your daily life and create something of beauty and helpfulness, you improve not only the world around you but also the world within you.

The other day I had a chance to sing -- really sing. I miss it. I miss it a lot! I miss making things. -- Making things beautiful. For the past couple of months I've felt the overwhelming need to get organized, to get on a schedule. - I think this is the MAIN reason (other than my compulsive need for order): if I don't organize my time and my home, I don't have any extra time - or brain power. I NEED extra time. I need to RELEASE my creative yearnings!!! :)

4 comments:

Amber said...

=) Oh, Rachel! You are awesome!! I was wondering when I got off the phone with you when or if you would blog about it =). And you did! I loved our talk too and always leave feeling uplifted and better about life. You Rock! Enjoy Creating!!!

Wendie said...

Thanks for sharing part of Elder Uchtdorf's amazing talk. He's such an admirable man. I definitely need to read the entire talk again. I guess I was so caught up thinking about other things that he reminded me of, that I didn't even realize the emphasis on creativity. Huh! There's proof that the conference talks (and the scriptures) need to be read over and over. We take different parts of them into our lives each time, depending on our own current needs. You're awesome and I love you. Let us know about your creations =).

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Rachel! I wish I could've attended! I'll have to read the talks online.

ClancyPants said...

Amen, sista! Thank goodness for blogging... it has become my major source of creative outletism. Ya... I just made that word up. I am creating things every moment. Even new words!

I think we should sing together sometime. Maybe we could put together a number for church and sing it in your ward and mine. :D I think that would be fun. Or maybe... did you listen to that Jack Johnson song? Let's sing that sometime. K. Let's.

Bye. :) Go create something, right now! Even if it's just a smile on your pretty face!