Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween's Fabulous Five

1. It's Halloween and after 3 days of massive sugar highs, the day is over and the candy is getting put away - possibly in the garbage. :)

2. My upstairs tub is leaking. :) Leaving a wet spot on the basement carpet as well as leaking between the downstairs wall below it. --- What? I know you're asking - "And you think this is fabulous?" Yes. And let me tell you why. Because of this problem, Nels and I pulled out the little door thingy in the back of the girls' closet, where we have access to the tub above it. As we were determining where exactly the leak was coming from, we decided to take the handles off the tub and see if we could at least get the tub faucet to temporarily stop leaking (which it has been doing quite ferociously for about 3 weeks (or more). While doing this, our 40+ year old cold water knob, broke off! (gasp!) SO . . .  :) now we get to tackle the project that we have been putting off for the past year and a half and I am going to get new tile and fixtures in my upstairs bath tub. :) See! Fabulous! :)

3. My brain has been working overtime for the past week, thinking of new decorating ideas. It's been really fun and I decided to spontaneously take on an art project. I'm embroidering some birds to hang above my bed and they are turning out surprisingly well. I'm so proud of myself and I'll be sure to post some pictures when I finish. You will love them! :) I've realized that aside from crocheting an afghan for a friend's upcoming baby, I haven't done any real "art projects" in a REALLY REALLY REALLLLLLYYYY long time. Last weekend I had a chance to look through some old memorabilia and remembered that I am (or at least once was) quite creative and artistic. Now, I've painted rooms in my house and had other little projects, but really doing anything that is expressive hasn't happened in years and years. You know, the kind of thing that you make just to make it. Not necessarily something functional, just art. I'm excited and think that I'm going to try to keep doing this kind of thing on a regular basis. 

As I've been taking this stroll through the long-forgotten creative side of my brain, I also stumbled upon a picture of my perfect kitchen. It makes me feel so happy just to look at it! :)

Don't you just LOVE all of the turquoise??? So beautiful! I love the countertop, the knobs, and the glass. {sigh} I'm in love!

I've also learned that I have a very vintage style. I love the look of old and eclectic. Sometimes with bright and funky pieces. I think, if given the option, I wouldn't choose to buy a lot of things for my home brand new. If I had all the money (and time) I desired, I would browse endlessly through second-hand, rummage, antique stores to find just the right old, perfect, well-constructed piece and refinish it.

4. The girls' costumes turned out SO CUTE! They made the cutest little bat and ghost and chicken in the entire world! We had such a wonderful time together tonight. A truly fabulous night! And it wasn't freezing cold! - That is truly an amazing thing for Idaho Falls!

5. Daylight savings ends on Sunday! An extra hour at night AND in the morning! It's like Christmas for me! :) - Hopefully (as I hope every year) I will use this wonderful time change to my advantage and go to sleep "an hour earlier" and wake up "an hour earlier". Here's to goals, right!? :)

2 comments:

ClancyPants said...

Awesome Fab Five! I loved it!

I want a turquoise kitchen too... I've slowly been collecting little turquoise items in preparation for my someday kitchen! Sometimes we're so alike it's freaky...

Amber said...

I love your fabulous 5. You are a positive inpsiration to us all! I love the kitchen!