I think many out there would call me "sheltered". A sheltered little Mormon girl with an unrealistic view of the world. Let me tell you something. I was sheltered. I was sheltered from much of the ugliness of the world. Sheltered from ever feeling unloved or uncared for. Sheltered from a lot of the social smut. Sheltered from drugs. Sheltered from pornography and infidelity. Sheltered from a broken home. Sheltered by a Mother. A REAL mother. A self-sacrificing, beautiful, virtuous, kind, loving, nurturing mother. Sheltered by parents who taught me to pray, to serve, to work. Sheltered by virtue and love. When did SHELTER become a dirty word?
Shelter: A structure that provides protection from danger; a condition of being protected; that which covers or defends from injury or annoyance; to shield; a guardian; a defense . . .
Isn't shelter one of our "basic" needs? Because I was "sheltered", am I unaware of the ugliness of the world? I am I naive to the dangers of life and spirit which surround us? No. I've got a pretty healthy grip on reality. Am I unaware of the challenges and pain of life? Or am I impervious to them (or think I am)? Of course not.
When I think of a shelter, I view it as something that covers, that protects, but doesn't make it so that you can't SEE that which is raining down around you.
I thank God each and every day for families. For being a part of a church that believes that "the family is ordained of God." That "husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. 'Children are an heritage of the Lord' (Psalms 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, to observe the commandments of God and to be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations."
My greatest hope as a mother is that I can shelter my own children. That they will feel loved and cared for. That they will know who their mother is. That they will trust me and respect me. Because I love them. That I will be able to strengthen them and teach them. That I will be a shield for them. That as they watch, they will learn how to battle the manipulations of society and stand for truth. Steadfast and noble. Filled with assurance, peace, joy, and strength.
15 comments:
Oh, Rachel that was wonderful!!! I 100% agree with you. And what a great point about the word "Shelter". Why is it considered bad in our society anyway? You are right. I love the post!
I love the post. I thank Blair and the Lord every day that I get to be a Stay at home mom. I wanted nothing more when I was a child. I watch two kids during the day. It is so sad to me to hear her tell me that she would rather work then be a stay at home mom. I love being able to be with my child. And it helps the kids learn so much faster to have mom at home. I couldn't stand to be away form Hannah. What a wonderful post.
I love your posts, and your thoughts, and love that you have a wonderful way to portray your voice!!! I really miss being at home. I had the day off and took Tanner to pre-school to see for myself what he actually does for the two hours he's there...not much. Quite frankly, I wanted to cry right then and there. I look forward to the day I'm done working (14 months to go) and can stay home with my boys to go and PLAY in the fresh air, read, sing, BE SILLY, and love each other!!! Thank you, so much!!!
Way to say it, girl! I so love you and your strength of heart. Missin' you right now! :)
Wow, I really needed to hear that without knowing it until I read it...did that make sense? Thank you Rachel!! No one can say it like you can. I love it!
Amen Sistah! It's funny how important being home really is. Grace still knows that I'm her mom and I'm so grateful that she does!
we must have been on the same train of thought lately. :) i love the way you write & especially when it's about the way you feel as a mother. this world is getting more and more crazy and those girls are as lucky to have you as you are to have them! thanks so much for this posting!
Rach, Even though I am a unmarried, childless individual ;) , I appreciate your comments! It made me realize my potential as a future mother even more clearly. I loved your post and love your strong heart! You're such a good example to me, i love you!! Im so excited to see you this weekend!
Way too put it out there. I wish every mother in the world felt that way. I know that some mothers DO have to work, yet I know that Some of them have the deepest desire to be home with their children. I respect those mothers who work, because I know if their situation were any different they would choose to be home.
As for those who CHOOSE to work and would rather be at work then with their children. I truly feel sorry for them. This world needs "Mothers who Know" (Sister Beck) I hope and pray that I can do all that I can to be a mother who knows. I'm proud that I'm able to SHELTER my children. I like how you put the description up. I agree - sheltering is GREAT!!
You're amazing! I admire the way that your able to show your emotions and the way that you share your thoughts. I hope that I can be like you when I grow up. I love you!
Amen... Thank you for such a wonderful post! It is truly uplifting to read. And think of what a better world it would be if all mothers felt this way.
You raise some good points. Unpaid work is one of the greatest contributions to the economy and it's largely done by women. Unfortunately capitalistic societies have a long history of undervaluing and even demeaning the unpaid work of women (especially caregiving roles whether it is with children, developmentally delayed individuals or older adults) even though they contribute immensely to the greater good of society.
Great post Rachel- you put into words what so many of us feel and are frustrated about. When I stopped working when I became pregnant with Olivia I got so much flack (mostly from the people that I worked with). They looked down on me and thought I was being lazy! In fact, I think most of us stay at home moms would agree that staying at home and DOING THINGS, and TEACHING your children is MUCH more work than going out into the working world!
I may share some of your post on my blog at some point if it's alright. You put into words what I've been trying to formuate in my mind for over a year now!!! Love ya!!! =)
An excellent, excellent post. I don't even know what else to say. Excellent.
I love to read your posts, I look up to you so much. Love you!
Post a Comment