Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Part One: A Season of Rest

For the past three years, Nels has worked at Melaleuca. It was a good move for his career, but it has not been without its challenges --- as I've often complained about here on my blog. Even with the complaints, Nels has gained many things by working there. He has learned things and been able to prove things about himself that he never would have had a chance to do, or maybe even know about himself, otherwise. Things that will be invaluable to him throughout his life. However, feeling that Melaleuca was never meant to be the final destination for his career, he found other ways to increase many of his video skills.

His number one outlet was to begin a video business with his dad called Mind for Media. He has done a lot of awesome work with this company over the past few years and has learned so much. (You should check out his Vimeo page.) Something I love so much about Nels is his driving passion to learn and to grow. To become better. With video (and with pretty much everything else), it's never necessarily been about the job, so much as doing his very best. I love him for it. I am continually impressed with what he can create. He is truly talented.

While Melaleuca has been a good job for us, Nels has often talked about moving on - for a variety of reasons. Mostly, I think that he's been wanting a job that gives him more of an opportunity to create. He's spent a lot of time over the years perusing job openings in New York, Minnesota, Texas, Utah, Arizona, California . . . etc. You get the point. But none of them have been quite right for us. However, his constant browsing and applying and interviewing has at times left me in quite a state of unrest. Never sure how long we were going to be here.

As our family has grown, we've also come upon the need or desire for a bigger home. I've spent the past couple of years idling away hours flipping through MLS listings. Finding homes that Nels would be able to have a real video studio in. Homes that (upon Nels's request) had a few acres --- room to have a goat(?). But as he's always looking to switch jobs, buying a new home here in Idaho Falls has been out of the question. Will we stay here for years yet or will we be spontaneously moving next month? Oftentimes, it's been difficult for me to fully relax and enjoy where we are currently because of this.

This past eight months or so have been different for me, though. I think that the Lord has blessed me with the peace that I've been lacking. Has helped me to see past the uncertainties of life and enjoy the present so much more. I have been able to settle on the fact that life will probably remain much the same for at least another few years and I've been incredibly happy with that prospect. I've found so much joy in the lives that we've been living. (Not that I didn't before, it's just felt extra poignant recently.)

Throughout the months of this pregnancy, I have also felt considerable peace about the coming of this new little person to our family. I haven't been overly anxious. I've been happy for the distance between my two babies and for the friends that they will surely be. There have been moments of "What were we thinking?!" and then I've been reassured, over and over, that this is right and this is good.

With Violet, I decided upon an "unmedicated" birth at the hospital with midwives (contracted under the OB that delivered the rest of my babies) attending - which I loved and was very happy with. However, there were a few things (maybe many) about this setting (hospital) that I didn't love. Overall, was the prevalent thought "I'm not sick and neither is my sweet baby. Why on Earth am I in a hospital?" And beside that, hospitals are truly not really conducive to natural childbirth.

With this baby, I decided that I really wanted to go a different route and have a Natural birth. I met with a group of midwives that run a birthing center near Idaho Falls. They don't work for any doctor, most of the births they attend are in homes, and they trust in the natural abilities of women's bodies. They've also set up a wonderful Birth Center in Rigby that is comfortable and has a very peaceful ambiance. This is the option that Nels and I have chosen. (Since I just have no desire to still feel like mommy, wondering what my four little turkeys are doing, while I'm in labor. :)

I have been so excited for this new experience. I've felt a lot of peace about the where and the how of it all and I've also been really looking forward to the natural slow-down that comes with Fall. Both of the older girls will be in school all day, most of the summer bustle will be winding down. I've been looking forward to not having any trips planned for August. Get the school shopping done. Slowly work my magic in transforming the little girls room with new paint, fun new decor, and new crib bedding. I've spent a lot of this year sorting through "problem areas" in the house, dejunking, and organizing. As September approaches, I'll have a new little baby come peacefully into our lives and this time I've been determined to learn my lesson and RELAX. (If you remember - which I'm sure you don't - I was sick every other week for months after having Violet. Due in large part to not being able to just slow down and take things easy.)


In short (or not), this last year has really been a season of peace in many ways for me. A time when I feel  I have learned and been blessed to feel a lot of calm with where we are in life. With my role as Mother. With myself. Truly, it has been a gift.


But we all know that nothing lasts forever, right? And I, for one, know that the Lord is very good at putting us to the test. So that the things we learn will stick. So that we can learn to be happy and have peace - regardless the situation.

And with those tests, also comes great blessings . . .

(to be continued . . .)

6 comments:

Alisha said...

You are so incredible for doing a natural birth!! I think that you are amazing! Thanks for sharing what you have learned about slowing down. I think that I needed to hear that as I am running around like a chicken right now!

Thomas Family said...

I"m so excited for you to have this baby! My favorite birth was WIlsons in a birthing home in Alaska. LOVED it. Now if I could just convince Mark to let me do it again. med school has brainwashed him. :) I'm excited for your next few months!

lynsey said...

when you commented on my blog about how you felt like you hadn't been able to wrap your mind around this pregnancy yet, and that the baby isn't really a "reality" i completely know what you are talking about. my pregnancy was a surprise {and one of those 2% statistics!} and then from the moment i took that positive pregnancy test, it felt like one thing after another...after another...after another. and just when i thought things would settle down, after the illnesses left our house, and we moved, and family drama was slowing down, then it was another thing.

i felt like i couldn't get ahead, i couldn't even TRY to enjoy being pregnant if i had wanted to. i knew i was pregnant, but there seemed to be zero emotional connection about it, except just to make it through another day of it & try to do that well. there was something very sad about that to me. but then other times, i realize that it was a blessing. i didn't have the time to focus on the anxiety about possibly having another hard baby, which, since having caleb, always seems to creep up.

instead i focused on enjoying my current two children at their own stages because things were going so quickly that i knew i would look back with regret if i didn't.

you are one amazing girl, rachel chick! i am always amazed and blown away at the things that you seem to carry with ease & perspective.

and i can't wait to hear about your new adventures. the non-melaleuca-ness {you KNOW i am cheering here!!} and the home birth {i'm on the edge of my seat with this one, seriously, i can't wait to read about this experience!} and all that lay ahead for you & your beautiful family.

i love you!

Anonymous said...

I love you.

Marci said...

i love the fact (well it might not be fact, but work with me) that the more babies a woman has, the more she trusts her ability and her instincts to deliver the baby. I think fear plays such a big role in labor/delivery and a woman's choice on her birthing experience. you never cease to amaze me Rachel!

Alicia said...

Oh my! How I can relate to your life! (Except you are 1 child ahead of us...and we're not catching up!) Having two babies close together, one of which is a "tornado", going through life changes that make you wonder "how am I going to get through this," trying to figure out the unknown. Ya. It's fun. I really thought BYU would at least interview too. Julian and I would have loved to have your family down here! I hope the delivery goes well. I hope the house shopping/selling flows smoothly. Having a moving company sounds wonderful!