I have blogged about how I just signed up for Facebook and it's been weird and fun to get in touch with quite a few people that I've neither seen nor heard from in almost 10 years. In fact, there is only one person from high school that I've kept in touch with any consistency in that time --- and even that has often been like, once a year-kind of keeping in touch. Well, tonight I was checking some blogs for different people that I've gotten in touch with and it's been really fun and really sweet to see where life has taken them. Then, as I was just finishing up - as it is already REALLY late - I happen to see a link to a "Bountiful High - Class of 2000" blog. So I check it out. --- It has links to blogs of a whole bunch of my classmates on there! WOW. So I, of course, can't help myself and spend the next two hours browsing. ------- I feel . . . well, there's really no word.
First, I've found that I'm not the only person that has a million kids :) - as I have feared for the past several years. I'm also not the only person who is not the same . . . size or shape that I was 10 years ago. :) I've learned that I'm not the only one with occasional wrinkles. :) AND - this is the one that still has me feeling weird and laughy :) - one of my former classmates is a CHINESE POP STAR! LOL! I just can't stop laughing about that! :) LOL! What the? That's SO weird!!! LOL!
I feel weird and a little validated.
Also, I don't know how many of you have had this experience, but I think I'll try to explain why myspace, facebook, and this funny little blog adventure have been "weird" to me.
My Sophomore year of high school, we moved. Almost to never see or hear from the people that I had spent the first 15 years of my life with. After high school, I left. By the end of the summer, I was gone to Idaho. I just moved and had a new life. My closest high school buddies, went on missions. I made all new friends --- wonderful, life long friends and most all of my teenage connections were severed almost at graduation or within the first year or two of college. I saw a few of my friends when I got married and haven't seen them since. The ONLY high school friend that I've seen in the past almost six years is my friend Todd - and that's only been two or three times. Throughout college, I have repeatedly made new friends and had them move - new friends and move - the story of college. So even the friends that I have made in the past 10 years, many of them I will probably never see again.
In many ways, I feel like my life has been entirely segmented. There are very few people outside of my family that I talk to on a regular basis that even know me from when I was single. And NO ONE in my life (other than family) who has seen me through childhood to adulthood. Or even from a teenager to now. Is that weird? Do a lot of people lead their lives that way?
I am a different person to each of the different categories of people in my life. So with all these different internet communities, where these different categories of myself start to merge, IT'S SO WEIRD!
There you have it. I think that is why I feel weird. and why I keep saying weird. there is no other way to describe it. just weird. and I'm sure ALL of you understand why the whole Chinese Pop Star thing is weird. LOL! SO WEIRD.
6 comments:
That is weird. The Chinese pop star thing I mean. But laughable too.
But I don't find it weird that you haven't kept in touch with friends from your past, like high school and childhood.
I have maybe one or two friends from high school I see maybe once a year if I go home for the holidays. And yes, zero childhood friends I stay in tough with. I think it's not that uncommon. But maybe we are both just weird :)
Any way I thought this post was entertaining, thanks for sharing.
Wow! Were we twins in another life??? That is EXACTLY how life has happened to me...LOL! My family moved from Utah when I was 15, and I had some friends in HS, I rarely keep in contact, and then various stages in college...
Facebook and blogging are a great way to see what people are up to, no 15 years later!!!! Yeah - It's a zone, and it's weird. Weird!!! We need to get together!
RACHEL!!! I'm so glad we've reconnected! I would LOVE to get together with you one of these times that you're down here - I've missed you! You know after looking at your blog the other day it made me remember some of the fun things/times we shared back in the day, we sure had a fun time didn't we? And I know exactly what you mean! I have 2 or 3 friends from HS that I am in contact with (we prob talk 4 times a month or so) but besides that I've only really kept in touch with others through blogs/internet. Oh & the whole Chinese pop star thing - interesting yet fitting isn't it (I saw him @ my parents ward last year, it was good to see him & catch up for a bit, he's certainly living it up)!
Chinese pop star is a little weird...who aspires to do that if they're not from China?!? I am the same way, I have barely kept in contact with friends from high school, friends from BYU-I are you, Nanc, and Sarah, and Melanie Walters...oh, and lately Amber Arbon, which is weird in and of itself considering she's been married 3 times now...And then there are the friends I made AFTER my mission, and the friends I made after getting married...so many of them have moved! Just weird. You want to know the weirdest part? Through facebook, I got in contact with a middle school/high school friend and found out she and I have lived parallel lives. We got married quickly (she's not LDS) after we met our husbands, had our daughters within a month of each other and also got married within a month of each other. We follow the same strange shows...it was crazy!! Ok, see you tomorrow, I have a TON to do today!
I totally understand!
I've been on Facebook for 2 weeks now and I feel the same way. Good job putting it into words. I love reading your blog, you have a great writing style.
Post a Comment