I can be driving the van - with Hazel and Lilie sitting clear in the back - and discreetly pop a piece of gun in my mouth, chewing it with my lips closed the whole time, and within 10 seconds I hear, "I want a piece of gum!!!"
OR - I can eat maybe 5 chocolate chips and then proceed to go about my business. One of the girls will come upstairs about 4 minutes later - talk to me for a second (not like, in-your-face kind of talking, but standing next to me as I wash the dishes or something) and all of a sudden say, "What are you eating?" Me:". . . . . Nothing." Child: "Did you eat chocolate?" Me: " . . . . (thinking about lying to my child) . . . . . Yes." Child: "Can I have some?" Me: . . . . . . . . . (thinking about being a mean mom) . . . . yes."
Secondly, why to I feel the urge to be selfish with my children? Like, why do I try to eat ice cream after they go to sleep - or hide it from them if I break down and have it during the day? This is a strange thing. The urge to not share treats with my kids. :)
Next: I'm not sure how I feel about Facebook. It's a weird little community filled with snippets of thoughts and comments on random things. I think it can be a great way to get in touch with old friends . . . but I still have mixed feelings about spending my time there . . . it seems like kind of this exciting, little waste of time.
Also, I don't really understand all of the Super Bowl hype. (so sue me!) I don't follow football and I don't think that most people do --- other than on this one day where a bunch of people just want to get together and eat a ton of food and care for 3 hours about teams they don't really care all that much about. Sorry if you're a die-hard, I just don't get it!
9 comments:
I totally eat stuff after the kids are in bed. I'm totally selfish!
And I absolutely agree that kids must have some hyper-sensitive sense of smell! I've had them smell something on my breath 15 minutes after it was swallowed. It's a rather amazing phenomenon!
My kids have this crazy sense of smell too...never understood that.
And facebook, the weird thing to me is all those "extras" they want you to add--I don't get it--but it is fun to get on and chat with people you have not seen for ages...and update the random status line--which I think is SO fun for whatever silly reason.
Ok, I totally agree about the Super Bowl...we don't watch football on Sundays except for the Super Bowl...why?!? I was thinking about banning it yesterday, but Michael has had a long weekend with us sick girls, so I let him watch it. But seriously? All I cared about was playing a game with him while he watched. :)
And about facebook...I don't do the downloads because I think they're stupid and have no point, but I do enjoy reading people's statuses and I have enjoyed catching up with high school people.
The smell thing really is weird! My kids have it too! My favorite time of day is nap time or bed time because then I finally get my sugar fix! I remember my parents doing it too! I watched the superbowl with my family growing up and it was like a holiday! We all knew we would be together! Its not any different then celebrating Labor Day or Memorial Day! For me its a family day! Even though Anth and I don't watch it!
I am laughing my head off!!! RIGHT ON! Thanks for this post. I needed it today :)
Wow. First off, NEVER feel guilty for eating after the kids go to bed, everybody does it. John has this thing where if he doesn't eat something he will go crazy. It's a habit for him and really funny too, but if we don't have ice cream, it gets weird. He will search for up to half an hour trying to find anything to eat and sometimes he will beg me to bake something for him, which I refuse to do.
As for the kids sense of smell, it's awful that they are so good about picking things up. However, today I got away with eating a spoonful of chocolate frosting! I needed some sense of sanity because Tyler was home sick, again. And Curtis was not feeling well either and had sat on my lap for three hours, at least one of which I had to go potty really, really bad.
I'm not a big fan of Facebook either, so don't feel bad and as for the Superbowl, I don't get it either.
Have a happy day!
You got the Facebook thing completely correct. It is an exciting waste of time. You can spend plenty of time just looking for people and commenting to them. It is a nice way to keep in touch with people though... you just gotta budget your time, not that you would have problems with that because you have kids to remind you that there is a real world out there. :) Me on the other hand, I gotta remind MYSELF that there is a world out there... the blog world! ; )
I do the same thing with the kids. So funny. I don't think we're alone in that, either. I wonder if it has something to do with "I'm mom, and I can do 'anything' I want, and I couldn't when I was a kid-your age."
I always think in my mind, "Better me spoil my diet/dinner than you, my child." ;)
That is too funny. I am always telling Jacob he has a nose like a dog. =)
Post a Comment