Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Courage

So this is something that I've been thinking about for a while now. I think I'm ready to share. --- Or at least record it for myself.

As I've thought about the world that we live in, admittedly my biggest, most pressing concern (and has been for the past 6 years) is for my kids. We live in a wicked world - full of perversion, flippancy, distractions, irreverence, laziness, and just plain evil (among other things), in my ever-so-humble opinion. I know the world that I was raised in, and it definitely had it's pitfalls, but I look today, even after only 10 years and barely recognize things. I worry. Plain and simple. And I've been worried for a long time about HOW. How do I teach them, how do I keep them strong? How do I give them what they need?

I'd like to share a few of the things that I think the good Lord has shared with me. First and foremost, I MUST do my part. I MUST do the things that our dear prophets and leaders have been urging us for generations to do --- all of those sweet and inspired "Sunday School" answers. Prayer, Scripture Study, Family Home Evening, Temple Worthiness and Attendance, Time Together - working and having fun, etc.

And secondly, (I feel this SO strong - down into my bones - every time I think about it, I feel on fire) these sweet children of mine were SENT here, for such a time as this. They've been waiting, preparing, and anticipating coming HERE at THIS time. For a reason. Heavenly Father has sent each of us at the time when we needed to be here -- when HE needs us to be here. My kids - all the children being sent here right now - are ready. They are strong and they are good. For you parents out there, can't you FEEL it? Can't you feel it in your kids, how incredible they are?! Can you feel their strength? It overwhelms me. I feel so blessed to be their mother!

As I was voicing some of my fears to my own sweet mother a few months ago --- talking about all sort of things - the world we live in, sending my sweet Hazel to school this fall, learning how to deal with other people's kids :) -- I had an epiphany. As I feel fearful for my children, THEY will think there is something to be afraid of. Does that make sense? They will feel my fears and they will be afraid also. --- But I tell you what, there is no room in their mission for fear. If they are filled with fear, they won't be able to feel the faith that is vitally important to their success in this life - in accomplishing the work they are sent here to do. I, as their mother, have got to teach them courage, not fear. Teach them that they are capable to stand against ANY of the wickedness in this world, as long as they have the Lord on their side. I need to teach them that they can, and less of what they can't. 

But then I wonder, can I do it? Am I strong enough?? While this has been weighing heavily on my mind the past few months, I remembered a talk, given by Pres. Hinckley at BYU-Idaho, the day they dedicated the Hinckley Building in 2002. I was able to find a copy of the talk online and would like to share it with you --- as a sweet reminder of the things that he OFTEN said of our generation.



I love this man! I'm so thankful for living prophets on the earth today. 

I know this post is entirely random, but I feel so strongly about it and I feel the desire to share. As I was listening to Glenn Beck yesterday, I was shocked as he expressed basically the same exact feelings that I have been having. It was so weird and affirming. :) These kids are so amazing! They are so READY. I'm excited for them --- and I have a feeling that they are too! :)

7 comments:

Deanna said...

Thank you for tha Wonderful post! I am afraid for my children, too, because I wonder if I am strong enough. I love that talk by President Hinckley. Thanks for sharing! :)

Alisha said...

I love your posts because they are always so honest and close to what I am thinking about as well. This world is scary but you are right that we need to teach faith instead of fear! I also love that Pres. Hinckely talk! It always boost me when I need lift! Thanks for sharing!

Alisha said...

I love your posts because they are always so honest and close to what I am thinking about as well. This world is scary but you are right that we need to teach faith instead of fear! I also love that Pres. Hinckely talk! It always boost me when I need lift! Thanks for sharing!

Kris said...

I loved this post. I have thought about this too. Your perspective on this is so right on. I need to remember to have more faith like this. Thanks for sharing

Wendie said...

Thanks for you sweet post. I was touched by President Hinckley's words.

Alyssa said...

Thanks for sharing!

Amber said...

Awesome post. You are right we can not fear but must instill courage and faith in our children. Wonderful!!!