Monday, April 7, 2008

Its or It's???

I think I need a basic English refresher course. And for any of you out there who are "passionate" about English and grammar - I've probably been driving you nuts for a long time. Now, I would like the input of everyone who is (or thinks :) ) that they are smarter than me. 

When do you use "its" and when do you use "it's"? I'm sure that I could just google this information - but I've already spent enough time on the computer today. I know that there are some weird rules about this that I learned in college english. And you don't always use the apostrophe in the same way you would with other words. So. Give me your input. What do you use when you're using it as a contraction? What do you use when you're using it as a possessive word. I need some education! :)

P.S. I'll take answers and then, at some point in the future, do my own research and whoever is right will get a special prize! Hip-Hip-Hooray!

P.P.S. You don't get to google this yourself before you answer. You have to tell me just what is in your brain. Let's see if you are right! :)

6 comments:

Sara Newton said...

I know the answer and I am using my brain! you use the word "it's" when you are putting it in place of the two words "it is" and "its" is the possessive word...I remember that from my college English course! Can you believe it? I even took it at BYU-I, which is altogether amazing because that was a long time ago! So there you have it and I think I am right.

lynsey said...

ditto to sarajean.

it's= it is

its= posessive example: the gecko sat in its chair. ignore the validity of the sentence & just focus on the use of the word. IT'S (it is) the best i could come up with on the spot. :)

is it a cash prize??????? or a visit across the country from our fav chicks? because i definitely think IT'S worth it!

Sara Newton said...

I win! I win!! "what does she get Vanna??"

Amber said...

Yep, I think that sarajean is right! I just asked Wes and he agreed with her so she must be right. Because Wes is always right ;).

ClancyPants said...

Awww man!!! I missed out on the prize cuz I came and visited so late!!! (am I EVER on here early?) Sarajean is definitely correct. I like to think of myself as a grammar geek. It was an excellent subject for me and I think it's the grade school lessons that stuck.... I don't know if I am as good as I like to think I am... but if I'm not, I'm living in ignorant bliss, so please don't correct me!! ;)

Lisa said...

My "guess" was WAY off. :(