Wednesday, January 30, 2008

We Thank Thee, Oh God, for a Prophet!

My mom called me Sunday night to tell me of President Hinckley's passing. It was a strange feeling . . . I thought that I would feel sad, but instead I felt the most wonderful feeling of peace. I am so happy for him to be with his sweet wife, together again. We all know how he has missed her and I just had this image of them together and what a joyous occasion it is for them --- as he stands among the prophets of old and our latter-day prophets who were, no doubt, there to greet him!
It will be different without him, I truly felt - like so many others in my age group - that he was MY prophet, but I am so thankful to know that this church is not founded upon a man - even a prophet. That this is God's church and that it will continue on the course that President Hinckley has assisted - to fill the whole Earth. Because It's true. Because He has said it will be so. I'm so thankful to have had the example of Gordon B. Hinckley throughout my youth and early adulthood. Guiding me in the decisions that I've made and shaping me into the person I am today. This quote from him, is classic and is so much of what he will always be to me.

"You are not everything you ought to be, but by and large, you are very good. 
And you can become what you ought to be."

I thank Thee, Oh Lord, for President Hinckley and for our new prophet. For continuing revelation and guidance.

P.S. - As a little aside. Sunday afternoon we were sitting in Sacrament Meeting with my mom. Hazel and my mom were looking at the program, which had a picture of Pres. Hinckley on the front. My mom asked Hazel if she knew who it was. She said: Yes, President Hinckley. Mom: Yes. He's our prophet, isn't he? Hazel: No. He's not anymore. Mom: Yes, he is. Hazel: No. He's not anymore.
Sometimes children know more than we give them credit for.

2 comments:

Perry's said...

He was truely a loved prophet. At church on Sunday a girl said it is so great how we don't morn Prophets death's the way other religions do. I truely believe that. It is so great how we know the truth and that he is in a better place. I love that I am part of the true gospel. I can't wait to be able to pass over and see everything. To have the vail lifted.

Amber said...

Rachel, that was beautiful. Thank you for sharing. That is a really sweet conversation Hazel had with your Mom. They are so in tune with the spirit.