
After church on Sunday, while I was making dinner, Hazel was playing in the front yard with the little girl who lives next door. Their favorite thing to do is torture Toby, our kitten.
That night he didn't come when we called for him...or the next night...we figured with as cold as it's been, maybe some neighborhood kid took pity on him and "adopted" him. (Saturday we got the first snow of the season!) However, we did joke about Kamryn (the little girl next door) locking him in her house somewhere! ha ha! She likes to put Toby in the toybox when she comes over.
Well, last night and the night before I haven't been able to sleep well and keep waking up at 5 AM with contractions that then go away, but leave me feeling really anxious. This morning Hazel came up to our room as I was laying there at 5:30 saying that her stomach was hurting and she was hungry. Mother Hubbard went to the cupboard to look for breakfast and found that we're out of eggs, milk, and bread --- Breakfast Foods --- or at least needed to make most breakfast foods. So we quickly got ready and decided to go to the store at 5:45. I went out to turn on the car so that it would be warm for her and heard a cat crying. I went back in, thinking that it was just Gertie (our other cat) in the garage and it wasn't, but I couldn't hear the other cat very well when I went back on the back patio. So I went back to the front and followed the crying to the side of our house were we have a bunch of yard stuff and random things from the house that need to be taken to the dump. Thump, thump, thump from one of the old cupboards from the garage.
Once I finally cleared away the buckets of rocks that had been placed in front of the doors, poor Toby came racing out! He had been in there for 2 days!!! Our poor little kitty went through 2 cans of tuna fish (I'm out of cat food, too) before we went to the store.
Needless to say, I'm not sure how much longer he would have lasted, especially with as cold as it's been the past few days. I think I need to have another talk with Kamryn about the difference between living animals and toys.
2 comments:
store at 5:45 am?? you are a good mom. i would have been like "here's a bag of cheetos now go back to bed!" it must have been divine inspiration through hazel's stomach that saved that poor cat.
I only got up that early because I couldn't go back to sleep anyway!
Post a Comment