Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Few Things I Learned Last Night

In my childhood memories, watching or helping my mom can food holds a prominent spot.

As a mother myself, I've found great satisfaction in it as well. However, the last couple of years haven't been my most productive. Almost all my jars are empty and it makes me so sad! :) Not really sad that I haven't had a bunch of food to cart around from place to place to place, but still sad.

This year I determined that I was definitely going to can some applesauce. My family loves it and we finally finished off my last bottle a couple months ago.

A list of some things I learned last night while cleaning up.


~ 40 lbs. of apples makes surprisingly less sauce than I thought it would. -- About 9+ quarts.

~ I love the smell of fresh apples. If I could bottle that up and keep it in my kitchen always, I would.

~ I don't think I'll can applesauce again unless it's with FREE apples. Not real economical.

~ Tart-er apples make better applesauce. Eating apples are for eating. The ones people let fall on the ground in their yards, those are for saucing.


~ I like tart kids.

~ Regardless of whether or not my time, money, or spent energy were economical yesterday, it was super fun to spend my time, money, AND energy with the most enthusiastic "bestest Applesauce Turner Squisher in the whole world!"



3 comments:

Deanna said...

Love it!!! I, too, learned a similar lesson about 4 years ago....but my kids weren't quite as tart (aka: were less helpful) and wouldn't touch the stuff after I went to all that work! So....we're out of sauce, and out of energy. LOL!

Unknown said...

making applesauce today...and apple butter...and beets...and pears...and tomatoes...ah, the sweet satisfaction of hard work!

ClancyPants said...

You're such a good mom. I have, like, ZERO patience for my kids to be in the kitchen with me. It's detrimental to them, I know. And to me, for sure. Although, a few years ago, we had family applesauce day. Somehow with Dustin there with me, I had more patience.