Today I am so grateful that I am not a single parent to five children.
This morning at 4:00, Nels left for NYC. he will be gone until next Thursday. ---As in, a week from Thursday.
While I'm no stranger to holding down the fort, this stretch feels especially long. Two full weeks of school.
I've been bummed all day. I'm not going to lie. I feel weird.
Nels texted me: "I just landed in Minneapolis."
I replied: "I just cleaned up poop."
Nels texted me: "I just landed in NYC!"
I replied: "I just finished cleaning my new makeup off of your daughter's arms, legs, and belly."
At dinner time, I cleaned the kitchen so that I could make dinner. After dinner and putting the children to bed, I cleaned the kitchen so that I can make breakfast in the morning. :)
Today has been a long day. I finally finished my "chores" at 11:00 pm. And I only was able to cross off one thing that I had on my list today.
Clean kitchen.
And even then, I wasn't sure I should even cross it off, since in the morning, it will return. :)
Now, while this post is really starting to be a downer, I want you to know that the day was definitely not a downer.
It never is, when I take the time to look into the faces of these little mess-makers and remember why I love my job.
Tonight I took the time to talk with and to listen to my older girls as they spoke of their desire to be faithful and strong. They told me of their desire to be an example and to keep the commandments of God. I told them how valiant they are.
Tonight Violet insisted on wearing her "naken" (apron).
Tonight Clara wanted me to hold her.
And I did.
Tonight I am ready for bed.
I just heard Vi open her bedroom door...


5 comments:
Your girls are beautiful! And yes you cross the kitchen off twice for doing it twice and then tomorrow you do it again! Otherwise it may seem like I rarely do much!
It's not fun when your husband is gone, I know the feeling. I will be dealing with that in June, but I'm going to surround myself around as much family as I can. I have never taken car of 5 girls by myself but that just sounds hard. I think 2 is hard. You can do it Rachel, you are pretty tough.
Think of it this way, even though you know your knight in shining armor is returning to you; you are getting the experience to offer true empathy (when needed) to a single sister with 5 children. What a blessing you will be to that woman. And what a great blessing it is to call you my friend!
You are creating worlds, dear lady! Trial and error, do this not that, lists, lists, lists, hugs, hugs, hugs to your beautiful girls and from them. Don't forget to ask them for hugs! I remember the day when Mel came to me and said "You spend so much more time with the kids than you do with me" !!!!!! No kidding! And I longed for the day when I would get to spend time with him without answering to "MOM!" or washing dishes, cleaning up spills, changing diapers, etc. -- still am waiting!! But I had to remind him that someone needed to take care of them and if not me, then who? It is your world and someday those bautiful girls will have worlds of their own to create and care for. We love you and the great job you are doing. Motherhood is not easy no matter what is portrayed on TV, magazines, movies, etc. But it is worth it! I was have a "reflection" last Saturday and I did not comb my hair all day!!! Did I care? NO! But I did comb it on Sunday!!
Ha! I love your mother-in-law. She sounds fabulous! What cute little ladies!!! At least we are in this crazy long husbandless time together, eh?
Post a Comment