Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Lunch with my Little Lady

Being the middle child can be a tough place in a family.

Elsie holds that spot in every sense of the term. Hazel and Lilie are 18 months apart. Violet and Clara are 18 months apart. Elsie is 2 1/2 years from Lilie and 2 1/2 years from Violet, 4 years younger than Hazel and 4 years older than Clara. And to top it off, they're all girls -- so there's not even gender as a varying factor.

Smack. Dab. In. The. Middle.

She's not really one of the "little girls" and she's not really one of the "big girls". Luckily, she's got enough spunk to shine brightly in her place. She is sweet and nurturing and sassy and fun. She definitely doesn't "fly under the radar." :)

However, with the craziness of the last few months --- having two babies, on top of moving and unpacking --- I have felt that at times I have overlooked some of her needs. - Because she is so easy-going.

So, last month, I took advantage of the excuse of my birthday and decided to pamper us both with some one-on-one time and a Fancy Lunch Date the Friday before. Nels came home for lunch and Elsie and I got all dressed up in our finest, with jewelry and make-up and fancy hair. Elsie wore her purple princess dress and her pretty gloves and I actually pulled out one of my old dresses that my incredible mother made for me in high school for a formal dance. (And before you all rise up in indignation that I actually FIT in one of my high school dresses - I'll just tell you that the term "fit" is used VERY loosely. There were a couple "under cardigan" alterations. {{wink}})


Having Elsie to dress up with was super fun, because I didn't feel conspicuous at all. I could direct all the attention to the fact that my DAUGHTER and I were having a fancy date. For HER. :) It was great.

We headed downtown to my now-favorite restaurant in town, Trinity. It's so gorgeous - right on the beach and a perfect view across the lake - and all of the food is both unique and SO delicious!



As we were waiting for our food, we colored, chatted away, and admired the scenery. As I was watching the seagulls, I realized that one of them wasn't a seagull, but a bald eagle catching fish. So cool.


Elsie enjoying her huckleberry lemonade.
As we finished our lunch, we decided that we MUST order dessert as well. Elsie REALLY enjoyed the Chocolate Mousse Cake a`la mode. :)







I felt about the same way as she did. It was amazing. :)

Thank you so much, Elsie, for being my special little lady. For allowing your mommy to be a princess with you. For being my friend. I love you, my darling girl!

6 comments:

Julie Button said...

So cute! I hope I can always be sensitive to all of my children's needs to know if they need extra attention.

Deanna said...

And these are the moments I miss not having any little girls. LOL! Guess I need to buy a tux for my boys that I can dress up with. :)

Hannah said...

SO fun! I am totally going to do that with Olivia and make it a tradition!

Mom Chick said...

What an awesome lunch you girls had! So very fun for princesses to get out and enjoy each other's company! You are a great mother to do this with your daughter!

Melyni + Alma said...

So great! So sweet! (I'm an awesome commenter..)

Amber said...

K-seriously you just won the prize for best mother of the year. No wonder you have five little ladies to dote on. You are amazing and I am so copying you =). Maybe I can be runner up. =) Love you!