Maybe it's all in my head or maybe it's the tilt of the earth and how far north we are, but evening seems to come on more slowly here. It feels like it lasts longer. And even after the sun finally sets, it stays light and glowy for a while.
I love it.
It was warm today - above 85 - and so the house was hot come bedtime. Thankfully as the sun sets, it cools quickly and I threw open the windows.
The older girls were in bed and as I sat down on the couch to feed Clara her bottle in the dark, quiet house a wave of cool evening air seemed to wash straight down off the still-snow-capped mountains behind our house and across the two of us.
I was completely overcome with how amazing it smelled. Like springtime and pine. Earthy and perfect.
Each night at dusk Venus shows up, blazing in all her glory, setting just above the mountains -- although it's getting lower and lower each week and I'm sure will soon no longer be visible.
The frogs also come out each night. Calling to one another, all across the valley. The deer, owls, and bats also come out as the light fades.
I am absolutely in love with Sunset in Sandpoint. It's my favorite time of the day.
![]() |
| Not a fabulous photo, but I keep forgetting - and this way you catch a little glimpse of Venus before she sets. |

6 comments:
stop it, just stop!! reading this blog made me almost pack up and move into your home. we're entering the miserable time of AZ and i loathe it. i try so hard to have a good attitude, but it doesn't come easily.
and even during the GOOD time of year, i get none of those smells. there is never springtime OR pin. or earthy or perfect.
when it's cool enough that the windows can be opened, it smells of dirt or cow poop. didn't know dirt had a smell? well move to AZ.
as much as i try to tell myself that i can live anywhere and be happy, as long as i have my little family, and i do know that it's true, reading this has made me realize that i just would be much HAPPIER somewhere else. like next door to you guys. ;)
couldn't agree more, m'dear. won't you be my neighbor?
You are making me homesick for the "great North strong and free." :) I'm glad you guys love the North so much. Summer is magical up there!
That sounds amazingly peaceful!
I know aren't summer's great in the North!!! We are madly in love with them too.
It is a beautiful place to be. Sunrises here are pretty serene and fresh feeling, too - if you like to get up to greet the morning. I catch it once in a while. But I agree that evenings are great. We love to just sit on the swing and watch the sun go down while the deer nibble in the fields. We're so glad you live up here and get to experience it too. :)
Post a Comment