This year is my last ditch effort. And regardless of what Nels says or my own personal affinity to live trees, if it dies this year - that's it. But I am POSITIVE that a live Christmas tree that is well watered can easily live for one month in the house. I've tried different tree lots. I've tried different varieties of trees. This year, we decided to get our own! I purchased a permit and we headed up to Kelly Canyon to find us a tree!
The girls were so excited! and we had a wonderful afternoon together as a family, tromping through the snow. Mostly.
Hazel was a real trooper and held her own the whole trek, Lilie required occasional piggy back rides (due to snow getting in her boots), and Elsie thought it was fun, at first. But it was a cold evening and she was less than impressed when I would put her down. -- As can be seen on her sad little face in this photo.
Needless to say, between carrying Elsie and occasionally Lilie, hiking up two decently steep hills through the snow, and being nearly six months pregnant ---- by the time we got back home, I could literally barely lift my legs.
I'd do it again in a heartbeat! :) I'm feeling good about our "skinny" little tree. It's unique. The girls and I had a wonderful time stringing cranberries and decorating.
I love this time of year!


8 comments:
Love your cute tree! Way to go! I have missed having a REAL Christmas tree for the past 4 years. I thought this year we'd get a nice big, tall tree since we have nice, tall vaulted ceilings...but hubby said no! He likes our dinky little FAKE tree...oh well, maybe next year when we have more money! Oh, and a canyon to go to to hike into and cut down our own tree!!!
Good luck with this one! Fake trees are never the same...=)
yeah! I've been waiting for Halloween updates! I LOVE their costumes!! It's funny because Brady had originally wanted to be R2D2 but I had not idea how to make a costume- you'll have to tell me what you did=)
I was very dissapointed in my Halloween costume attempts this year..oh so sad!
I love the girls' pumpkins and I LOVE you're chair! I can't wait to see your other projects you crafty girl!
I LOVE your tree! :) I hear ya...we've got and FOUND our little tree each year in the forests of Idaho and Wyoming...they last much longer than the lot trees. ENJOY!
I have had a real tree all three years of being married. I hear the trick is to put 3 Asprin in your water. It helps it stay alive longer. Try it and let me know how it turns out.
Love the tree!!! I swear by using Sprite. Yes - the pop. I water the tree with it at least once a week. We always put out tree up the day after Thanksgiving and it hasn't died yet - knock on wood. Hope it helps. I love the cute new picture of your family!! Such cuties!
Cute tree! And I am impressed that you even have presents under it already! You must be very brave to go on a tree finding expedition in the woods with little ones. That is not something I would attempt!
You just reminded me, I need to water my tree. I hope mine doesn't die this year. I have been neglectful. I love your tree. Great job with the cranberries. beautiful!
Love the cranberries and the tree. But I may have to agree with Nels about the lights, I know how crazy you get!!
Post a Comment