The need for change has presented itself in many different ways recently. Some I'll share, some I won't.
Such as,
I'm ready for this summer to be over. Can you believe that? I almost can't believe that those words have flown from my fingers, but really, I am. It's been another incredibly busy couple of months with traveling CONSTANTLY. Feeling overwhelmed by the amount of things that need done, but constantly in a state of recovery . . . from the last trip - or whatnot. Just tired.
-------
The weather the past few days has been perfect for the mood that I've been in. Chilled out. 70s during the day, with that brisk Fall feel. Mmm. I love it. It's energizing to me. I know it won't last long . . . like probably not another day . . . but I love wearing jackets and thin sweaters. I love the change in seasons.
-------
Hazel will be starting school in just over two weeks. {{sigh}} This is a bit of a trauma for me. I can't believe that she'll be getting so big! That a new chapter of our lives is about to begin. Never to be that same again. As crazy as life can be at times, I love my life. I love my girls being at home with me. Learning from and depending on me --- even though that responsibility is a bit . . . um, large. Ready or not, this is a change that is coming. I'm working on being excited for her.
--------
Nels was home for an entire weekend without doing a gazillion different projects! It was amazing! We spent an entire Saturday and Sunday together without even leaving Idaho Falls! THAT is a change.
--------
I have recently started to no longer be in love with my long hair. I've had it long for over three years now, without ever getting tired of the ponytails. Finding them incredibly conducive to the life that I've been living. It's felt sexy and fun and different from the typical "mom hair". I felt pretty.
My hair texture has changed DRASTICALLY over the past 4 years or so. I have curly hair now. Not the gorgeous natural curl that my SIL, Melyni, has, but a strange wavy on top, curly on the sides, and kinky in the back. Long hair has worked well through this transition. I haven't felt tempted every time I need a new trim to chop it off (as has been the case . . . well, throughout the rest of my life).
So. Lately there have been a lot of things going on in my life. Things I can't control. Feeling a new chapter opening up in my life. Life is again at a turning point and I'm ready to turn a page. Time to take control of SOMETHING in my life. Short Hair Rachel is ready to come out again and no longer be Rachel of the Perpetual Ponytail.
Before posting my new 'do, I was going to find a picture from the past few months to show how long my hair was. However, to further illustrate the ponytail point, I can't even find one where my hair is not pulled back. What's the point in long, sexy hair if the only time you wear it down is about once a month!? Okay, so you'll just have to live with the horrible picture that I took on my phone right before leaving to the salon.

Lovely, huh? I know, I know. What can I say? I'm just naturally photogenic . . . as is my camera. (For those of you always wondering how to take me, heavy sarcasm is implied here.)
Another lovely phone picture, of course. Too bad I was too lazy to walk downstairs and get a real camera. Lack of correct products and a working flat iron are going to delay the duplication of this look for a few weeks. - But this is what it looks like straight. I like it!
And curly. Again, too bad that I was too lazy to get the camera out before 10:30 pm, because it looked better before a day of wrestling with kids at church, laying on the bed, jumping on the trampoline, etc. However, I still like it. (Lynsey. I told you that your cut was "inspiring". :)
I LOVE the feeling of a new haircut. - Made all the more fun by a brightened color. :) I love walking past the mirror and still being surprised at how you look. It's addicting enough to grow my hair out, leave it long for so many years that no one remembers (or knows) you with short hair, and then chop 10 inches off over and over and over again. It's fun.
-------------------------------
Wow. This got verbose for just a post about my new haircut! I guess this is for those who are sitting around in front of their computers, trying to remember what you came there for, and secretly trying to avoid the pile of _____ (you insert your own noun here --- ex. laundry, dishes, random papers, children) that seems to multiply overnight. You've checked your email, your facebook, your favorite website, and now you are blog hopping through the web - silently cursing all your friends and family who don't seem to update their blogs more than once a day. :)
However, I can't keep typing forever. Talking on and on - like I'm prone to do when I'm trying to explain myself to Ne . . . someone . . . and they just sit there looking at you without offering any feedback. So you think that you need to further explain yourself when all that you're really doing is boring them to death and not allowing them time to supposedly process any of what you're blathering on about.
Plus, Nels went up to bed over 45 minutes ago. Only recently turning on the fan --- a sure sign that he can't sleep and is begging for someone to come put their freezing cold feet on him.


15 comments:
I absolutely LOVE your new hair. It looks so great and young. You are so beautiful!
goodness gracious rachel, this will sound weird, but sometimes i forget how absolutely beautiful you are! i think just because i don't get to see you that often, and we mainly communicate through blogging...and most of our pictures are of our kids...anyway.
seriously, you one gorgeous lady.
long hair, short hair, curly or straight. you look beautiful in every single picture!
and i'm also loving the hair cut! it looks fantastic on you and i'm glad that chopping mine off helped make the decision easier on someone else. :)
i am liking the color (mine is a little TOO blonde for my taste, and will be corrected soon) on you so much!
and i can't believe miss hazel is going to kindy. that cute munchkin will do awesome and i hope that YOU are doing okay! little leah has turned out to be a yeller (just to make noise, you know) and especially gets loud when she's tired. but you know what? i smile about it every time, because it reminds me of cute hazel and baby-sitting her while you guys went away for your anniversary, and YOU.
miss you so much my friend, if you're coming to UT in the next couple of weeks, please let me know because i'll be there!
I LOVE IT!!! So cute on you!! I understand the whole thing of having long hair, but it's always up in a ponytail - doesn't make sense. Really I love your cut and the color that you have it! Way to be brave Rachel - I have your new flat iron in my van and will bring it out to the farm this weekend - you are coming down for one more trip aren't you?
Love, love. love the hair! You look fanastic! Isn't it wonderful what a new cut will do for you? I love to get my hair cut just because it makes me feel young and beautiful! Life is full of changes...not so good for a control freak like me. Good luck!
Oh, my heck! I LOVE your new cut!!! I'm going into Marci today at 4:50 to get my chopped again. I LOVE that mini vacation. She's FABULOUS!!!
How did you know I've checked all my other 'things' and am avoiding a pile of _________ on my desk? The pile of 'children' make me laugh!!!
We SO need to get together. Seriously. Is it fall already? I have already pulled out sweaters and jackets. I love the fall, too.
Anyhoo, You are awesome...you have inspired me...Maybe I'll go a tad shorter than usual? Hmmmmm...
I love it--but I told you that on Sat. It is so cute, and I thought it looked adorable curly. Alas, I am trying for the long, sexy, non-mom hair that I can ponytail all the time, but seeing your post makes me want to abandon my quest and chop it all off again!
I love the new haircut! You really can work a short or long do. :) I've been growing mine out for a good while, but it's really not that long because I don't get it cut often enough to where when I walk into the salon and tell them I need a healthy trim it turns out to be a few inches. Oh well. I think I'm just trying to hold out on chopping it off because it seems like that's what everyone does when they are having a baby (probably because the kid is going to rip it out...)
At any rate, it sounds like there are some good changes in your life. Glad you got to spend some downtime with Nels. That guy is always SO busy!
Just thought I'd say that I love it and you look great!
I love you new haircut! Its darling! I also love reading your blog! You always make me smile...and yes I am avoiding...dishes!
By the way, I just wanted to say that I love you and I think you're great. Thanks for sharing your mind with the world at large!
wow rach I LOVE it!!! It's so cute! and still VERY sexy (can I say that being your friend?!) Well, I did anyway...funny thing is I just chopped my hair last week too- and when I say CHOPPED that's what I mean- like WAY short- still trying to decide whether I liek it or not and kind of have the "I can't wait for it to grow out a little" feeling...oh well, I'm sure a picture of me will pop up on my post sooner or later and you can see just what I mean, but as for now I won't be doing a "I'm so happy with my new haircut post!" Live and leanr right! What's life w/o taking some risks once in a while?
I love this post because it was so you. So wonderful, so happy, so honest, so funny. I love love love your cut!!!! It makes me want to chop mine and get the same exact cut. I'm probably avoiding my pile of children. LOL! Love the post!
wow, I like your long hair much better...just kidding, I just had to say something different than everyone else. It looks so fantastic rachel, it makes me want to cut mine, hummm. I love it curly too. I am missing you tremendously and reading your blog is not helping. Please call me when Hazel starts school and you are crying. I am dying even thinking about Brycen going. I hope you are feeling better and I too am ready for fall. You would not believe the trees here, fall is supposed to be amazing. I guess I should have emailed you instead of writing such a long post. Oh well. I love and miss you and am upset that on your list of things changing you didn't mention me leaving. Maybe that was one of the things you didn't want to talk about. :-) I finally got a phone so I will call you soon and dive you the #
LOVE LOVE LOVE the hair!! Gorgeous!!!! All there is to say about it - love it!
Rachel,
So I've been cyberstalking you for a few months now. Well, since I got my own blog. I followed a link from my sisters page. So I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Amanda. My little sister is a friend of Mels, my other sister is a friend of Nels' from school and Levi and I were buds in high school. And Kathy and I are facebooks friends.... So yeah, I'm pretty much tight with your inlaws. I love reading your posts. Your humor and humility make me smile and I am so excited to see that you read C Jane too! Another fan! Yay!
Amanda
PS~I love the hair! So cute!
Post a Comment