I will always say I can't believe it - because I can't. I've spent the weekend looking at pictures of that sweet, soft, little, brilliantly-blue-eyed baby. What a tragedy of mortality that I can only remember those times in glimpses.
Violet is growing up --- so beautiful and smart. She is fun and LOVES to laugh and make others laugh. Violet is gentle and tender-hearted. She is timid at times, with things like strangers and heights. Other times she has no fear.
Two months ago Violet got her first set of glasses. She is far-sighted and the only reason that I even considered taking her into the eye doctor is because I, myself, am seriously far-sighted, so I recognized the signs. Not only that, but both Nels's dad and two of his siblings are far-sighted as well, so I've been on the lookout. I got glasses when I was four and according to my mama, I was angel until I was about two and then I turned into a crazy monster child. Being far-sighted doesn't mean that you can't see (like with near-sightedness), it just means that your eyes have to work extra hard to see -- as if you were walking around all day looking at something that's 4 inches away from your face. It's incredibly strenuous on the eyes. It can lead to headaches and general irritability/moodiness. I'll never understand why more doctors don't recommend vision checkups for hyperactive children.
Around about last fall Violet started having SUCH a hard time controlling her emotions. She would fall to pieces about the smallest things, then try really, really hard to be happy, but just couldn't do it. She'd start crying and when I'd try to help her calm down saying, "Violet, you need to stop crying now. Everything is okay." She'd respond, "I'm NOT crying! (with huge tears rolling down her face and wailing) See?! (insert fakey smile) I'm happy! I'm happy! Waaaaaahhhhhh!" It was getting a little ridiculous. :) I thought maybe she just needed to take more naps, but often she'd wake up in this kind of mood. I knew that this kind of behavior wasn't really her natural temperament and finally made the appointment at the end of December.
We've broken one set of glasses already, but since getting a pair that stay on her face much better than the first ones (and have a warrantee), she's been wearing them like a champ and they really make a difference. Violet loves to be happy and has always been pretty easy-going, but we no longer have the mid-afternoon crazies. She has mellowed out quite a bit since getting her glasses.
Violet LOVES her name! She can spell it and write it. She loves to sing a song that I made up. "V-I-O-L-E-T that's what spells my Vio-Let-y" It's silly and it makes her happy. She knows all her letters and likes to point them out everywhere we go. - Especially her favorite letter - V!
![]() |
| Big Violet and Little Mommy |
Violet gives the greatest hugs! At night you must give and receive no less than 5 hugs and kisses (with lots of butterfly and kitty kisses mixed in). I love tucking Violet in! She is very concerned with the happiness of those around her. She asks me often, "You happy, Mama?"
Vi loves to talk and talks very, very well. She is also my little songbird. All my girls love to sing and hum and whistle and make up lots of songs, but Violet remembers the words to songs really, really well and has excellent pitch. She is always listening.
Her new favorite toys are My Little Pony and it's been fun for her and Elsie to have a game that they enjoy playing together. Up to this point, the age gap between Violet and Elsie has been a little too big at times, but Ponies have been a good meeting place for them. And the older Clara gets, the more I can see what fabulous little friends they will be as well. I love my girls so much!
Violet's 3 Year Stats:
Height: 38" -- 75%
Weights: 32# -- 70%
When I asked Violet what she wanted to do for her birthday, she said that she wanted to swim. Elsie keeps asking if we can go swimming at City Beach (brrrrrr!) and so it's been on her mind. Luckily we found a great swimming pool in Coeur d'Alene where we could go play so that we didn't have to brave the still-snow-covered beaches in town. :) We spent the day splashing and then playing at the indoor play area. By the time we'd eaten cake, gone out for dinner, and drove the hour back home, she was one tired birthday girl!
She was so excited about her orange (current favorite color) birthday shirt!
I love her happy face!
Happy birthday, my sweet Violet! Thank you for being such a darling and patient little friend to me. I feel like the luckiest mom in the whole world to have you as my daughter.










5 comments:
She is so cute. All your girls are beautiful! I love the glasses. And you look great. You look like yo have lost weight. Don't think you were fat before. You are not. I just saw the picture and was like," Awesome, I wish I looked like that".
she is adorable! and holy--she can WRITE her name & she just turned 3? i am so behind on both of my kids when it comes to writing, but i don't let it get me down.
she sounds like such a fun & sweet girl & a fun birthday. and i'm not kidding, i know that picture isn't really even a picture of you, but you're in it--but you look GREAT!
ben & i now have a $50 bet to see who can lose 20 lbs the quickest. i'm glad i'm so non-competitive, i might have to go back to no sugar. ;)
Oh...happy birthday little Vi! I can't believe it either...and yes it is a tragedy that we can't remember more. Beautiful blog!
Rachel, you are an awesome mom. It makes me smile to see how beautifully you make a fuss over each of your girls on their birthdays and at those moments. You know how to make them feel as special as they really are, thank you for being such a wonderful example. They will love you forever. You are such a wonderful daughter, I love you. I can't what to be with you soon. I loved singing happy birthday to Violet.
that first picture with her new glasses took me aback! I just can't believe that she has morphed into a little girl and is a baby no longer! she made me think of hazel with her long hair and lilie with her blue eyes! you have beautiful girls with sweet, creative, lovely personalities.
Post a Comment