In all it's forms.
I love it.
And makeovers? Heaven. I love taking something ugly and watching it transform.
When we were in college and I would get excited about buying things from the D.I. to make them look lovely, I thought it was because I liked saving money. Many years and many dollars later, I realize that this is not really true. I love getting a good deal, but that's not why I like recreating second-hand treasures. I have a funky and eclectic style and I really, really like making something my own.
Besides, what would be the fun of having all my furniture matching?
Last year when we finally sold our house and moved all of our furniture up to Sandpoint, I was left with a very small room at the front of the house that had no furniture. I created an idea of just what I wanted and set out to find my pieces via Craigslist. After a couple weeks of searching I found exactly what I was looking for and promptly purchased BEAUTIFUL fabric to recover them with . . .
. . . fast-forward a year and another move later . . . . So typical. I hate this about myself. Sometimes I feel like I have zero follow through. {sigh} anyway.
After my success with my string art project, I was on such a high that I finally delved into the chair.
![]() |
| bias double cord welting - much more fun to make after buying the correct sewing foot |
I made my welting and ripped all the fabric off - taking pictures along the way. Recovering furniture is actually far easier than most people imagine it to be. I take detailed pictures throughout so that I can remember how things are assembled, then use the old fabric as a pattern for the new pieces. Most chairs actually require very little sewing.
However, I'm not always smart and I never do things the easy way or choose simple projects, so this one required a little more work than I'd originally thought. The ENTIRE back was sewn together. I'm so SMRT.
The worst of it was the three blisters that I got on my poor crippled hands by not wearing gloves to remove hundreds of staples with a screwdriver and pair of needle-nosed pliers.
It's a good thing that Nels and my kids are the only people who see me when I'm doing these types of projects.
First, because I don't get dressed or brush my hair --- but second -
I turn into a lunatic.
An insanely proud and neurotic crazy person.
When I was first learning how to sew while pregnant with my oldest daughter, I discovered something about myself that I'd never known. I LOVE puzzles.
In the numerous hours that I've spent reading patterns and sewing in the past ten years, I've found that sewing is really Fabric Engineering. And there is a latent engineer housed in this brain of mine. It is ridiculously exhilarating for me to figure out how something works. When I get going, watch out!
I dance around, sing songs, get completely engrossed in what I'm creating, and generally spend a great deal of time telling Nels and my girls how AWESOME I am.
Like I said, it's a good thing this is done in the privacy of my own home.
I made a couple of brilliant choices with regards to this chair. One: the fabric. Seriously. Isn't it gorgeous? I know it's bright, but I love it. And Two: the purchase of a pneumatic stapler. Oh my heavens, that thing changed my life! I can't believe I ever doubted Nels's purchase of that little air compressor a couple of years ago.
Ta-Da! Isn't it pretty? I've been SO SICK since finishing it up that I couldn't even fully enjoy it until today.
From start to finish I took less than a week to complete my little chair and LOTS and LOTS of poked little toes, due to scattered piles of pulled staples.
Next project?
Recovering the matching couch -- or settee -- if you will. It's going to be a beautiful navy velvet. And I just realized a couple of days ago that when I bought the fabric a year ago, I didn't buy enough . . . {insert eye rolling}
Also, if this:
causes me any grief with my new upholstery job, She. Is. Dead.
And I love houseplants.
The End.













13 comments:
HOLY BEAUTIFUL!!!!
And this was the best ending of a blog post in the history of blog posts.
Seriously amazing. amazing amazing amazing. And I can totally see you dancing and singing and telling everyone how awesome you are.. and I love it. You rock. The end.
What a great blog post. Love the chair! And I also love the crazy , neurotic woman who recovered it.
I LOVE IT!!!!!!
It turned out BEAUTIFUL!!! Hmmmm...maybe I'll finish mine tonight...you have INSPIRED ME, yet again.
♥♥♥
hahaha!!!! your "i love house plants" totally hit my funny bone for some reason!!
that chair looks SO good, i love it!! you are awesome, and i can totally hear you skipping around your house with excitement, telling nels how amazing you are, un-brushed hair and all!
congratulations, i'm your biggest fan!
The girls and I had to scroll thru the post a few times to sufficiently appreciate your awesomeness. We all agree the chair looks way better your way. We only hope we can be brave enough one day to create something like that.
Oh my goodness yes you have an engineering brain and are incredible. The picture of the chair all naked and torn apart I almost got sick just with the idea of putting that back together and it looks perfect! I want to learn from you! Love you and congratulations on your beautiful new chair!!
Oh my word you are awesome! I won't lie when I first saw your chosen fabric I was nervous, but it looks awesome! You've got an eye for this stuff! Good job!
You are one talented woman! Keeping house plants alive is no easy task!!
But AHH! That chair! The colors are lovely! So gorgeous! Now there's some real talent!
I'm still very nervous to dive into my reupholstering job.
SUPER AWESOME!!!! Oh my goodness! YOU BLOW ME AWAY!
So beautiful. I also love to take old things and fix them up to look great. You did a great job. IT must run in the blood. I love ya
Your chair turned out beautifully! I can't wait to see your settee done and how good they'll look together!
OH...WOW!!! I love it! I can not believe how amazing it looks you did a beautiful job! AMAZING!
Too bad these things take so long to do. I have a rocking chair just waiting for your special touch ;).
Oh and little Idaho is off in the background all those loves in one place...I love house plants too. the end.
Post a Comment