Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Sneak

Elsie loves to run. She is fast and fancies herself to be the fastest thing on two legs. :)

Last year she was very into watching Dinosaur Train on PBS and Netflix. She would constantly recite to me (and random strangers) various dino-facts. I loved it.

"Mom, did you know that Troodons are omnivores? I'm a Troodon because I'm an omnivore."

She loves Troodons.

"Mom, did you know that Troodons are really, really fast? I'm really fast, too! Watch!"

She would then do a funny little steppy-steppy-dancy start and then take off! Whoosh! Around and around the house on her tippy toes (because that's faster). Then she'd rush back to me . . .

"Mom! Did you see how fast I am?! Did you see those little gray clouds behind me when I run?!"


"I'm SO FAST!"

It would always make me laugh. I love my girl.

Yesterday, at dinnertime she again felt inspired to display her prowess for speed. She jumped up off her chair mid-taco and started racing through the living room, "I'm so fast, I could sneak up on anything! I could catch anything!"

Lilie, from her seat at the table, watched her sister, thinking. Hearing Elsie's boast, she immediately replied, "Elsie, why would you be so fast and loud if you were sneaking?"

{!!!!!!!!}

Nels and I just looked at each other and laughed.

We are in for trouble.

I couldn't help but remember the little 2 year old Lilie that would "sneak" out of her bedroom at nighttime. We could hear the door click open from the living room where we were watching TV or reading. At first we'd expect to see her right away, but there was nothing, so we'd figure she'd gone back to her room, only to have her show up around the corner about 8 minutes later. Subsequent nights revealed the "Lilie sneak".

She'd quietly open the door and then turn that petite little 2 year old body around and INCH down the hallway backward, her eyes covered with her soft little hands. Clearly, she believed that if she moved slowly enough (half an inch or so with each shuffle) and if she couldn't see us, then of course, we wouldn't see her. Her patience and determination was incredible! She would even do this technique when she knew we were right outside the door. "If I can't see them, they can't see me." :) Slowly, so slowly, shuffling herself backwards. :)



Nels remembered the almost 3 year old Lilie. We were down visiting my parents and Elsie was just a tiny, smily, adorable little baby. Uncle Jake, always the joker, was holding Elsie and completely enraptured with her cuteness, told Hazel and Lilie that he was going to keep her. "She's my baby now!" Hazel, true to form, immediately fell to pieces. "No! No! She's my sister! Wah!!!!"

While Hazel wailed, you could see the wheels turning in Lilie's little mind. She loved that baby sister and NO ONE was going to get her. But instead of fighting, Lilie thought for a moment, then quietly leaned her little tow-head over to her Uncle Jake and softly confided, "Well, you know . . . she spits." (Translation: you may think she's cute enough to keep, but I think you'll be sorry if you actually go through with that plan.)

Or Jake would pick her up, growling, "I'm gonna eat you!" The other grandkids would start squirming and screeching and crying until some adult would come to their rescue.

But not Lilie.

Jake, holding her up above his head: "I'm going to eat you!!!"

Lilie, with a look of complete grit on her face: "NO! I'm YUCKY!!!!"

Laughing hysterically with surprise, monster-Jake immediately released her. :)

Being a mom is funny.

3 comments:

Deanna said...

Too cute! Love their little antics. :)

lynsey said...

ha ha!! the sneak!! i love it. and the "she spits" comment totally cracked me up!

oh your girls...i love them.

Amber said...

I agree! Being a mom is super funny and you have some of the very best! I love your little Troodon and sneaky cleaver Lilie. What lovely little ladies!