I feel like I say it over and over and over all day.
"Get down." "Don't climb on the couch." "We don't live in a jungle gym."
As I sat feeding Clara this afternoon, Elsie climbed up beside me, then perched herself behind me on the couch, then promptly fell off the back.
She started crying, but you know what? With five kookoo kids, crying just doesn't phase me too much anymore. She said her hand hurt and it wasn't like she was hysterical, so I told her to just come sit by me for a minute - sure that the drama would pass.
A minute or two later, she was still complaining, so I put Clara down and sat her on my lap to examine her hand. I couldn't find anything wrong with it. Another minute passed and she still hadn't forgotten about it, so I started looking for swelling and feeling her arm.
At that point I finally noticed a big dip in her arm where her solid bones should be and realized immediately that she'd broken it. Mother of the Year moment right there.
Nels came home and gave Elsie a Priesthood blessing before we headed to the ER.
That sweet girl. After getting to the hospital, I think she had everyone there fooled into thinking that her arm wasn't even broken - she was so chipper. However after X-rays, it was revealed that she'd actually broken both bones in her arm. Neither was really bad, but enough that they will need to set the bones before they cast it all up.
They put her in a splint and a cute little hospital gown and sent her home for the night with instructions to return tomorrow morning by 7:30. To set the bones, the surgeon said its MUCH less traumatic for children to just be sedated and then get it done quickly and correctly.
I'm kind of scared for her. I don't like my babies to be in pain.
Hopefully we'll be home by lunchtime to make Violet's birthday cake and celebrate.
I have a feeling that balloons, a happy little two-year-old, and Grandma Merkley's Angel Food Cake will make everyone feel better. :)
Photos out of order. Sorry. Phone blogging.



8 comments:
poor baby!!! hope she gets to feeling better, and soon!!! :)
Oh poor Elsie. And I don't think you've won the sarcastic "mother of the year" award. That would be me. I win it every year.
Poor thing :(
my kids are ALWAYS doing the same thing. I'm just waiting for one of them to get hurt doing so - falling straight on their heads hasn't stopped them from doing it...
Hope today goes well & she heals quickly.
Poor Elsie! I understand the mother of the year comment. Give her a extra hug from me.
Izzy's arm was broken for about 10 hours before she finally got it x-rayed.
When Olivia broke her leg it was arounf 2:00 in the afternoon...we didn't take her into the ER until 10 pm!!! So, don't feel bad that it took you a few minutes to figure it out! Sometimes you just never know! Give Elsie (and big B0day girl Vi and hug from us!!!)
oh no!!! i hope you survived the setting of the bones. I threw up after leaving my girl in the room with the docs to get her arm set. BUT kids are amazing and she'll be doing handstands on her casted arm in no time.
Oh Rachel! I'm so sorry! I fear for this. Give Elsie a hug for me, and tell her to give you a hug for me too! I hope the celebration was great!
Oh, that is sad. Of course I knew but still sad.
Post a Comment