Sunday, June 20, 2010
My Dad
I love my dad so much.
I'm so thankful to have been blessed with the father I have. He is truly one of my very best friends.
I can remember sitting on the driveway or in the garage with him as he worked on the car or welded. I loved riding with him in his old brown Chevy. The seat was bouncy. It was awesome. I remember riding with him to Phoenix and playing "I Spy".
He seems to always have an answer for any question I ask. It's amazing. As if he's already thought of all the questions I could ever think of . . . :)
To this day, I love the smell of welding. I don't know how to describe that metallic smell, but it will forever remind me of my dad.
My dad knows how to work. Hard. Such a good example to me.
He also knows how to have fun. Such a good example to me. :)
As I was watching through some home videos recently, I realized that, as a child - and a teenager, I most often called him Daddy or Daddy-O. As an adult, I unconsciously still do it. I'd never noticed before.
One of the defining phrases in my relationship with my dad is, "You can do it."
A FEW examples:
- Making wooden "treasure" boxes and other awesome things with my brother (out of his probably-useful lumber and with his nice tools)
- Driving a stick (he tricked me into it)
- Changing the oil with only verbal instructions over the phone (in which I almost became a felon, but the oil got changed perfectly, thank you very much)
- Changing brake pads and rotors
- Cutting and laying tile (seriously, how many dads lend their tile saw to their daughter???)
- Driving home through mountain passes covered in snow
- Snowmobiling in deep snow (and never getting mad when I get it stuck :) and 4-wheeling up steep hills
- Teaching me how to shoot a gun, throw a baseball, use a knife (although numerous scars may prove me a poor student :)
Such a wonderful teacher. I genuinely believe that in my dad's eyes, there is nothing I can't do. And because of his faith in me, I believe him.
My dad loves the Gospel of Jesus Christ. My dad lives the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
In simple, unassuming, everyday living, he has shown me what it means to follow the Savior. He is so willing to serve and to give. It seems to come so natural to him.
So many things that I love about my dad, I'd never be able to share them all. So much that I've learned from conversations he's shared with me and also just by watching him throughout my life. I could never have asked for a more wonderful father.
One of the most amazing things to me, is that through my relationship with my dad - I've learned more about my Heavenly Father and the relationship that I have with Him as well.
Thank you, Dad. Thank you for your example. Thank you for your sacrifices for me. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for being my friend. I love you more than words can say.
Labels:
Dad
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Sadly, when you mentioned the felon part, I giggled. I still remember that.
beautifully put! Your dad is awesome!
Post a Comment