Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Fly


This has been my week to teach preschool again - which is always fun, but still a challenge. I think if I could have someone plan out all my lessons, I really wouldn't mind doing it, but I have stress attacks about having to plan things. --- It's been a problem all my life!

Anyhow.

This week we've been doing the letter 'S' and today we did "space". We made little aliens and then made our own "spaceships" with film canisters and Alka-Seltzer tablets. I had checked out a book from the library to read about Neil Armstrong when he was a boy. We ran out of time, so this afternoon I read it to my girls. It tells about how, all growing up Neil had dreams of hoovering above the ground. When we came to the word "hoover" the second time, I asked the girls if they knew what hoover meant. They didn't and so I explained to them that it's like flying or floating. Lilie sat there for a moment and said, "I have dreams that I can fly." ---- Which is awesome! My mom has dreams that she can fly too! Lilie is a lot like her Yellow-Haired Grandma. :)

Which reminds me of another similar experience that Nels observed last summer. 
We were out at the Merkley farm with all of my side of the family. -- Which means lots and lots of people, now a days. The kids were watching "Bee Movie" --- is that what it's called??? Weird, I'm not sure.  - But you know the one. -- Apparently they were at a part were the mom says something like, "Don't fly in the house!" It was quiet for a minute and then Lilie says quietly, "I wish I was a fly." Total silence. Then Ali (my niece) starts laughing - hysterically - and she and Lilie get a good laugh out of it. 

What a funny little insights I am given into my children's brains every once in a while. Lilie wishes that she were a fly and dreams of flying. ---- It's just so fitting ---- and makes me love her so very much!!!

2 comments:

Amber said...

K- what is going on in that picture? It looks like she is falling/jumping out of the wall. It reminds me of Singing in the Rain when the guy falls through the wall. LOL!

Kelly said...

That is so funny! I hadn't heard that story before. Now I know why Ali loves Lilie so much!