As I was listening to Glenn Beck yesterday, I felt SO great! The future is bright before us and America has the opportunity to rise to the occasion. I think there have been a lot of laconic people in our country, happy to sit back and not take responsibility for where we're headed. People happy to let the government take care of them. About half of voters Tuesday voted for Marxism. (Spreading the wealth??? Look it up!) Whether knowingly or unknowingly. But you know what? The other half of those voters didn't! With one of the lamest excuses for a Conservative gracing our ticket, nearly half of all voters STILL voted for him! Incredible! With pretty much only a vote AGAINST someone else, (which never wins elections) there were still got HALF! Wow.
And as for the next four years? I am happy to say that I support our President, so long as he upholds the values that I hold near and dear to my heart. So long as I am never asked to betray my values. So long as our Constitution is upheld. So long as the God-given rights I'm promised in that Constitution remain mine. I whole-heartedly stand with pride as a citizen of this great nation and as such, I have hope for our future. I have hope for our president-elect. I have FAITH in the people of this country.
I'm optimistic for the future. I find comfort in the knowledge that the pendulum always swings back to the center. I feel supreme gratitude for the knowledge that we have a living prophet on the earth today, leading us and giving us instruction. And what was that instruction, only weeks ago? Hope. Faith. JOY. Again, regardless of HOW we get there and the struggles that are surely before us, I am optimistic of the future.
. . . and Nels and I are thinking of getting a gun and joining the NRA. :)
11 comments:
Oh how I love to read your comments, your posts, and your thoughts. You have a wonderful way of seeing things!
The music you're refering to, is on a CD I grew up with. The group "Secret Garden" is awesome! I want to say they have some Celtic stuff, but I may be way off mark. I don't actually have the CD's - they're at my mom and dad's. If you click on the playlist at the bottom of my blog, you can 'create your own' - I try to only put on my blog songs that I own, or that I've paid for. It's the one way I can justify putting it on my blog. The thing I like about that player, is that you can listen to songs, even if you haven't purchased them, so then you know if you like it?!?! I had orginally typed in a song from the musical, The Secret Garden, when this group popped up, and I was so suprized! I didn't know they were 'out there' because I think our family ordered it through a PBS tel-a-thon thing they have twice a year. Anyhoo, call me if you need more details, or email, or leave a comment!
Yes, time to press on and move forward in faith, hope, and joy.
Rachel you dont know me but I went to school with Nels, well I was closer to Katies age but I love to read your blog you say what I think and dont have the words to express. I just want to say I agree.
Jessica (morrison)
Awesome, Rachel! Thanks for putting this up. You always give me pause to think and I very much love your perspective.
I agree and we have some guns and want to buy a few more. And ammo...
ammo is the key.
Clinging to guns and religion, are we? =)
hey Rach- not offended in any way- just wanted to clarify my feelings so you weren't so "shocked" in my beliefs in and support of Obama. But, I guess, with this post, you've evidenced that you've gotten over your shock and decided to be supportive and have faith too!
I still love ya- that's why we're great friends! You can tell each other what you really think and it doens't affect the friendship!
I'll try to call you soon- we're pretty busy around here- it looks like we're moving to Idaho- most likely Twin Falls...
Well Said Hannah! :) Thanks for the great post Rach.
Wendie, you got it sista! :) My God and my guns, baby, and only occasionally bitterly! :) LOL!
I certainly do not love our president-elect - pretty much my last pick - but pessimism never gets anyone anywhere. Fear and Faith cannot exist together. I have faith that we are in the hands of our dear Father and faith in the virtues and values that our country was founded upon. Faith in the goodness of our people (laconic as they may seem at times). Faith that adversity brings out the best and the strength in people. I'm pretty sure that that strength is beginning to surface and will only get better. So here's to the next four years!
Spreading the wealth = evil? Marxism? Socialism? Can government social programs like medicaid, food stamps and subsidized housing exist in combination with our capitalistic society? Should it truly be every man/woman/child/family for themselves?
Mark 10:17-24
17As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. "Good teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
18"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone.
19You know the commandments: 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother.'[a]"
20"Teacher," he declared, "all these I have kept since I was a boy."
21Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
22At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.
23Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!"
24The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, "Children, how hard it is[b] to enter the kingdom of God!
25It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.
Kadie, I don't mean to be contradictory, but Jesus didn't say, "give ME all your money, and I will give to the poor." It was (and always should be) the individual's right to give to the poor. Not the government's. And "spreading the wealth around" IS Marxism. For the government to take and to then divvy out as they see fit. We should CHOOSE to give to those in need, we should not be FORCED to do so. It isn't service and it isn't giving if there is no choice. It's the difference between freedom and slavery.
I do believe that when each man/woman/family DOES take responsibility for themselves, it equates a strong, happy, healthy society. (I excluded child, because I believe that it should be the parent's responsibility to care for their children.) I am not against any and all government programs, but they are often incredibly abused. Becoming a crutch rather than a boost.
I don't have all of the answers to our problems, Kadie. I'm not trying to argue here or to disparage anyone's point of view. You are entitled to yours, the same as I am entitled to mine. I believe in capitalism, I believe in the goodness of people. What value does the giving have when it was not given freely?
You raise some good points for sure. Especially the point about giving money vs. being forced to give money but I think the basic principle is what is reflected in these social programs. These programs were created decades ago by a Democratic president and I think they have done a lot of good over the years. It's not like these are newly created programs to bring the evils of socialism into our society. These exist within the structures of capitalism and have not been a threat to capitalsim.
If every person enrolled was abusing the system, the system wouldnt exist. I think there are more people who need help with things who are hard working than are given credit. I think these social programs are extremely important and they help a lot of families. I personally know quite a few people who use them and they truly need them. I don't see them as evil and unnecessary. My taxes go to quite a few things that I don't agree with but that's the nature of things. The money to support it has to come from somewhere. Maybe they could put in a clause where people have to pay back all of the money they were subsidized with food and medicaid insurance premiums and housing at a later date? I don't know. We are one of the wealthiest (Even with our economic situation) countries and there are so many citizens who can't make ends meet and need a boost.
I'm really not trying to say your arguments are wrong. I'm just offering my perspective. :) It may seem like I'm attacking but I swear I'm not. Sometimes it's hard to convey tone over the internet. :)
Post a Comment