Wednesday, November 12, 2008

One of those, please. No. Not THAT one . . . the other one.

Do you ever have "one of those" days? What about "one of those" weeks?

You know, the kind where you set the screwdriver on the counter and it falls on your foot? The kind where you do everything right, get the shower valve all connected and looking beautiful, turn the water on and then it's leaking from the one spot you would have to undo everything to repair? You repair it, put it all together and then the other side is leaking? The kind when you make a comment and it seems to take on a life of its own, spiraling toward chaos?  The kind where you seem to offend at every turn and yet that was NOT your intent. The kind where you can't seem to keep your mouth shut? (and neither can your kids? LOL!) The kind of week where you baby a project, spend hours on it and then at the end, cracks down the middle? The kind where you have a sick kid, take her to the doctor (running late, of course), jump out, go to unbuckle the kids, and then have your five year old tell you that you forgot to buckle one year old into her car seat and she kept standing up? (Why didn't she tell me the FIRST time? And how did I not remember???) 

Yep. It's been one of those. You know, the kind where you finally decide to make bread for your family, so you can once again eat lunch. The kind where it turn out SO good. The perfect consistency. Placed in the pans just so. Beautiful bread. Buzzer beeps to take it out. Check it. Perfect. Just 2 more minutes, to brown the tops. The kitchen is all cleaned. The dishes, washing. Flour and oil cleaned off the counter. The heavenly smell of bread filling your home! 

Can you hear the angels singing yet? The glory of the moment? Cold outside, nice and warm inside, the satisfaction filling your heart? 

And then you get distracted. And then you leave it in the oven for another HOUR.

You could crack a head with one of these loaves,
they're so hard.

Yep. Those are the ones. Those are the days. 

But you know what? I'm not going to LET it be "one of those" days. 

We can still eat the inside . . . . :)

9 comments:

Lindsey and Brett said...

I applaud your ability to not let it be "one of those days" after everything. I hate when everything goes wrong, but I don't always have a good attitude like you. Way to go, Rachel. :) I'm sure the inside of the bread was delicious.

Amber said...

LOL!! Your bread stroy made me laugh =). Way to go on being optimistic and eating the inside =).

Rachel Holloway said...

OH NO!! Yep--had one of the LIVES before! :) jk!

And hey, isn't it what's on the inside that counts anyway?

Deanna said...

You made my day! You are simply wonderful.

At least you don't have to wait for bread to go moldy to feed to the ducks - take the crusts! :)

Wendie said...

You just described my life this week. Thanks for making me smile tonight =). I needed it.

ClancyPants said...

Dude. That sucks. Sorry about your bread... lol! Funny story though. And clever telling of your "issues"!

Anonymous said...

Haha. So funny! Love it! I assume you read my empty, or better yet, sporadically finished post. I fixed it, you can read it now. ;)

Life for the Pillings said...

I completly understand. You too describe my life. SIGH - - like one of your posters said "Isn't it the insides that really count" Love the post - I'm really sorry about your bread. That's just sad. How did your bathroom turn out - when all was said and done?

Alyssa said...

Nice Rach. :( I'm sorry to hear your having a hard time. I know we're far away- but if you need anything don't hesitate to call. Jake and I are going to coldplay this weekend! We got tickets from my boss! Hope to see you there!!