Tuesday, November 11, 2008

YES! I can! Yes, I can! Yes - I can. Can I?

I need moral support. Anybody want to come help me tile my tub surround? :)

Don't get me wrong. I'm a do-it-yourself kind of gal. I LOVE to do things with my hands. I even dare say that I like manual labor - to some extent. I am a "can do" girl. Some of my sweetest memories with my dad are of me sitting on the driveway watching him work on the car. To this day, I can hardly contain myself from leaning over Nels' shoulder as her works on anything mechanical in any way, shape, or form --- that is, if I can't do it myself. (This really bothers him, by the way. -- The leaning over the shoulder part. -- Oh yeah, and the part where I can't be quiet about giving advice.) I've changed oil and brakes. I've recovered furniture and painted my entire house by myself. I build things and know my way very well around a hardware store. I move furniture, landscape our yard, help rip out concrete, rake rocks, dig holes, and occasionally tip over wheel-barrows. (C'mon! Wheel-barrows were NOT invented for women! :) I engineered all of the plumbing for the shower myself while Nels has been my fabulous go-to man, ripping out walls, cutting and installing cement board, etc. after and before work. I seriously think that I would make a fabulous mechanic or plumber or engineer in another life. :)

When I expressed my hesitancy at doing the tile, my dad informed me that I could do it. When I design how I want things laid out, measure and remeasure, I think, "I can do this."

If we only worked on it after Nels got home from work - this would be a mighty drawn out project. I can easily work on it throughout the day. Besides, two people in one little tub? How fun can that be?? :) :) But you know what? When it comes right down to it, I feel totally intimidated and I've been procrastinating all day. 

6 comments:

ClancyPants said...

YES, indeed you can! (when I first glanced at the title of your post I thought you were somehow making some Obama post! LOL!)

I saw your note about coming over. I was dipping all day but I wanted nothing more. I didn't call cuz I couldn't leave and since I was trying desperately to overcome procrastination....

Ya. I didn't come over or call you. Then at about 9:00 I got really bummed out for some unknown reason and the only person I wanted to talk to was YOU! I felt weird cuz I was emotional and so I didn't call. Maybe we both needed a pick-me-up!

Anyway... I might try and stop by later, cuz, dang, I miss your face!

Alisha said...

Rachel, you are completely amazing! You can anything and have in the past! I am so impressed with what you have already done and you are an awesome example to me! Good luck and keep on truckin'!

renee' said...

"Yes", you can do it! It just takes time and several steps, but it is a fairly easy home improvement. And judging from the list of things that you've already done, it will be a piece of cake for you. But, I understand you being hesitant, it seems like such a permanent fix. I can't wait to see the pics!

Funny thing is, I actually was inspired to do tile for the first time after talking to Aunt Norma. I have done many projects since then, but just tackled a shower for the first time this year!

Rachel Chick said...

What good friends I have! :) I would love to see you today, Clancy. I've missed you too! And you need to see the big mess I have! :) And I thought the title of the post was funny too! :)

Amber said...

Hmmm...we must be related =). You are amazing and can do anthing you set your mind to! You can do hard things!!! I need to call you I miss you!

Sara : Confetti Sunshine said...

wow... well I would be more intimidated by changing oil in a car than tiling... I am sure you will start... do it perfectly... and then think "hmm, that was easy!"

but it does sound like you've been having too much fun with that house of yours... :D