Okay, so I'm going to take a poll. What do you think of the phrase "Ignorance is Bliss"? (In terms of things that you have no control over. Not in things that would just make you uneducated. :)
My initial reaction has always been, that's just not true. I'd rather know. At least I'm informed and not taken by surprise.
But I've been rethinking this conclusion lately. I think sometimes, ignorance really IS bliss. Sometimes better to just not know.
But then, if you don't know, you're never given the choice of how to behave. Never bettering yourself through the challenge.
But you also don't have to sit and mull it around in your mind when you can't even do anything about it.
{smile. i know i'm retarded!}
Hmmmm . . . What do you think?
8 comments:
I agree with you 100% - i'd rather know, but then, there are times i wish i didn't. Too much responsibility if you have too much knowledge kind-a-thing. I don't know. I guess it just depends. I guess that makes me wishy-washy. :)
Depends on the issue at hand... but I'd take knowing most of the time.
I seriously laughed out loud that you love Hugh Jackman too! It somehow doesn't surprise me in the least! lol!
If it affects me or my family I would want to know regardless of whether I could do something about it or not.
I love the quote by Washington Irving! Wonderful!
If it affects me or my family I would want to know regardless of whether I could do something about it or not.
I love the quote by Washington Irving! Wonderful!
Hmmm . . . that is a really tough question and I feel differently about my answer depending on the issue. Generally speaking, I think that ignorance really is bliss. I use to think that I would always want to know, but I've recenlty changed my mind. If I don't have control over it and it's making me crazy, I'd rather not know =).
I agree with Wendie. There are things that I would want to know, but only if I would be able to change them. Other than that I would just like to be able to walk with faith that I will have peace while the rest of the world spirals out of control.
If I can't control it, I am afraid that will control me.
No way! It really is true, knowledge is power. Sometimes there are really small things you can do about things that seem out of your control... or things you can do to help you cope if it really is 100% outside of your control.
Many choices that people make "blissfully" (either without wanting to know or truly not being informed of all of the potential consequences) can have really really awful effects on others...
I would MUCH MUCH rather know.
I had to come back and read your comments. I totally agree with Kandie. Great comment! I think it is really rare that we have zero control over an issue. There is usually something we can do to make a difference, even if it is small.
Post a Comment