I cannot do it all.
I recall the words of my sister a few years ago when asked why she doesn't update her blog, "I don't need one more thing to fail at." At the time, my cousin and I scoffed. What could she be talking about? She's an amazing mom to four perfect children. She's talented. She volunteers. She keeps an immaculate home and yard. She serves in the church. She is kind and graceful and beautiful. What is she talking about???
Yet here I am, five or so years down the road, and I finally understand.
How can I keep it all together?
I read poems:
Song for a Fifth Child
by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton
Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I’ve grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren’t her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.
YES. This probably is a poem for the mom with five kids. She's learned that it's okay to leave the dishes. Let's go play in the backyard and make dandelion chains! I've got three loads of laundry to fold, but let's go to the beach instead. I should be wiping down the table so that I don't have dried spaghetti sauce stuck onto it tomorrow morning while we're rushing to eat breakfast, but instead I'm going to rock my sweet little one-year-old to sleep.
But you know what? Tomorrow comes.
Someone has to do the shopping. Someone has to fold the laundry. Someone has to make dinner. Someone should clean the month old spilled juice off the floor. (thank goodness the floors are dirty enough to cover it so it's no longer sticky, just unsightly) Someone is still thinking of the unhappy morning that was had - arguing with her oldest daughter ---- around and around and around in the never-ending attempts to bargain.
There are still appointments to keep, budgets to balance, bills to pay, nutritious meals to make.
If I don't wash the laundry, NO ONE HAS SOCKS OR CLEAN PANTS OR UNDIES OR SWIMMING SUITS TO WEAR TO THE BEACH.
And if I don't go shopping, there's nothing to EAT. Because we already ate all of our easy meals. Everyone's hungry and there aren't even saltines.
If I don't keep my appointments I let myself and others down and nobody gets their immunizations and then you're playing catchup before kindergarten registration.
And what about my daughter and the arguing? How do I change that? It's all my fault. I know. But then? You know what? It's NOT all my fault! How do I change a dynamic that has been since she started talking? How do I give her independence and confidence? How do I let her know that I love her more deeply than I ever thought possible, that she is beautiful and smart and so very good? that she brings me so much happiness every single day? How? When every conversation that we have seems to end with frustration and tears? HOW DO I EVEN THINK ABOUT IT WHEN I'VE GOT 16,000 OTHER THOUGHTS THAT I'M JUGGLING?
How do I kiss them all goodnight and tuck them in, when I've still got dishes to do so that I can make breakfast the next morning - so that I can actually just sit down and think of nothing before we start again? I kiss them, I sing, I tuck them in and then bedtime never ends. I need a drink. I need a hug - you didn't give me one. Yes I did. Please go to sleep, you've already been out of your room 13 times tonight. It's 9:30 and you were so tired this morning and crying about everything so PLEASE JUST GO TO SLEEP BECAUSE I WANT TO END THIS NIGHT WITH YOU HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Being a mom is really hard.
This time will pass, much to my sorrow. I love my kids and I love the stages that they are at. I love them so much and wish they could always stay little.
But being a mom is the hardest thing ever.
and I'm going to be late for Clara's 18 month appointment - that I forgot to schedule 3 months ago.
Post Edit:
I was late.
Not because I decided to put on makeup to cover up the zits (why do I have zits? I'm not 13! Oh. It's because I don't wash my face at night.), because I made up for that by not looking for clean jeans, but wearing the same ones I have for the past week.
And not because I was looking for a clean shirt for Clara, because I just let her wear the one that she wore to bed last night.
But because today I found that Clara has learned how to open the back door all by herself. And as I ran through our two acres - franticly looking in the shed and the woods - hysterically calling her name with visions of her crawling through the barbed-wire fence to go pet the horsies (which is what she was doing three days ago when the sisters were supposed to be "watching" her), I realized that I'm
totally. losing. it.
I finally found her sitting very quietly on the recessed front step, sucking on rocks. and proceeded to cry a lot.
I also realized this while yelling through the phone at the dr's office receptionist when she said we had to cancel our stupid appointment. Because even though I sit for a minimum of 20 minutes in their lobby every time we have an appointment, apparently if I'm going to be 12 minutes late, that's their policy.
Then when we got back home and Clara was screaming for her binky and thrashing around because I won't give it to her unless she's taking a nap, I snapped. I cut the end off the bink, gave it to her, she screamed and threw a huge fit and I put her down for a nap . . . but had to hold the door closed for a while so she couldn't come out because, again, she can now open doors.
I'm losing my mind.
8 comments:
Thanks for being realistic! I often argue with Grace and I hate that the floors are always a mess and food is scarce and I still gotta nurse that cranky baby (who now wants no one but me...). I love life!
I love your "I'm losing my mind" posts as much as your life is grand posts!! :) Makes me feel less alone is this crazy journey we call motherhood! :)
Ha! I know how you are feeling!
Love you Rachel! You always put into words how the rest of us are feeling! There's never enough time to balance everything! You are amazing though and your girls are wonderful!
oh my goodness girl, SAY IT. i was reading this while surrounded by dirty dishes, undone laundry, and a son's birthday to prepare for tomorrow. but i finally had 15 minutes of QUIET and i took it!!
i read a study last week that said having 3 kids is the most stressful number, and gave a list of the reasons why. and at first i felt very validated in losing my own mind....and then i read your post and thought, NO. five is still more stressful than 3. especially when they learn how to open doors. :)
ohhhhhh and that doctor's office makes my blood BOIL. i probably would have told that front desk lady i would be right back, left my kids with her, and driven to get some ice cream so i could eat away my emotions. then see how SHE handles things.
i love you my friend! and holy crap. i'm so glad you say it how it is, and how hard it can be.
one last thing:
you know those "you're going to miss this stage the most" comments? well i'm just going to say it: THEY PISS ME OFF.
i'm absolutely sure i'm going to miss these moments, when i'm arguing non-stop with 3 nasty teenagers who are letting me know EXACTLY how i screwed their childhood up. or when crickets are chirping in an empty house and i'm trying to find SOMETHING to clean because my house is so sparklingly immaculate, then just sigh and resolve myself to take my 4th nap of the day. i'll miss their sweet kisses, and chubby little hands, and innocent adoration.
but you are right. motherhood IS hard. and the sleep deprivation is pretty much killing me. and as much as i try to live in the moment of these 3 beautiful little faces like you do with your 5 beautiful little faces, what i really want to say to those people who tell me how 'quickly it goes' and to 'cherish every second' is this:
LEAVE ME ALONE. I'M CHERISHING. I'M HANGING BY A THREAD WHILE COUNTING ALL OF THEIR ADORABLE TOES AND THANKING GOD EVERY NIGHT FOR THE BLESSING IT IS TO BE THEIR MOM. I GET IT, I KNOW. IT WILL GO BY QUICKLY AND I'LL WONDER HOW IT HAPPENED BEFORE MY VERY TIRED, WORN, DARK-CIRCLED EYES. I'M GRATEFUL FOR THE GOOD AND THE HARD, BUT BACK OFF BECAUSE IT'S NOW BEEN EIGHT YEARS SINCE I'VE HAD A FULL 8 HOURS OF SLEEP AND I'M NOT SURE WHAT I'M GOING TO DO IF I HEAR ANOTHER PERSON TELL ME TO 'CHERISH' THIS.
okay, rant over.
too much? :)
I know I already told you how I feel about a lot of this on the phone, but thank you for putting your struggles as well as your "sunshine" moments on this blog. As a single mom with a three-year old, I often think that I could be such a better mom if. . . I got to stay home, or if I was married to the "right" man, etc. However, you're right. It's just plain hard. Maybe I'm just a jerk, but it is really validating to see my sweet friends (who I'm truly happy for) with their beautiful families and supportive, good husbands still have struggles. It helps me to feel that I'm doing ok. I hate it when I have to get Addison ready every day and head off to work, then whisk her home and try to feed/bathe/read to her before bedtime. Oh, bed time. What a mess.
And Lynsie, you're awesome. I'm so glad there are others who think the whole "cherish this moment" stuff is just plain frustrating. I remember being a freshly divorced mom nursing my infant daughter in church while she's frantic and I'm a total mess. I don't know how many people said that to me. I just wanted to say, cherish? Really? I'm just trying to survive here. There are moments we "cherish" and moments we're just trying to keep everyone alive. So, Rachel, good job keeping those kids alive! You're doing great in my book! Oh, and I love your new bangs. How's that for ADD? Super LOVE you!
Hey! I just learned how important it is to type " blogspot" to get to your blog. If you leave that out, you'll be directed to quite a different site! Won't be forgetting that again.
Those funny kids are so good at feeding off each other. Bedtime used to be so easy... But times that by x number of kids and the bedtime needs multiply exponentially. Nice mom is gone at 8:00, so when the bedtime process takes 2 hours (which is the norm), ugly things happen. While I have been trying to remind myself to stop treating parenting like a chore, it just gets difficult to not feel overwhelmed when juice gets spilled right after mopping, toddler accidentally pees on the carpet, kids are arguing, daughter doesn't like the way I did her hair which made her miss the bus, and someone forgot their lunch...all in 30 minutes. It just gets hard to not feel defeated. And how do I regain control, without doing something I'll regret first??? This whole parenting IS hard!!!
So glad you wrote this, because I think you wrote it for me :) can I say AMEN to miss Lynsey! Seriously, just because I look frustrated at the store with my four kids in tow because none of them will listen to me and two are screaming because i have said "no" for the millionth time, doesn't mean I'm not "cherishing" every moment. Who are they to say I am not "cherishing every moment". I don't have to look all blissful and happy to "cherish every moment", or do I? So BACK OFF people who are judging me!
Can't a mother look like how she feels? I can't handle being a mother if I have to put on a "fake" smile and act as if this Motherhood thing is the best experience all the time non stop because we ALL know it is NOT always sunshine and roses. So yes, agreed and thank you for saying it like it is, and making me feel like I'm not alone. ESPECIALLY, with this oldest daughter arguments/drama almost every day. I'm just wondering/frightened how the teenage years will be.....guess we will see :)
You Rock!
Post a Comment