Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Screwy

Gosh. I so want to write something fun - but I'm just not feeling it. Maybe I'm just not fun anymore.

I'm so tired of sounding and feeling like an old, boring, depressing, broken record . . . .

. . . . but you know what? This is MY blog. Besides, nobody reads it anymore anyway, so what the heck? Let my depressing emotions fly!

{{As an aside, I can remember when Nels was in college still and he came home and told me about "online journals" or "web logs" and I thought that was the stupidest darn thing I'd ever heard of. Who on earth would be so narcissistic that they would think that anyone on the internet would want (or even deserve) to read their private thoughts . . .  :) }}

So I've spent the better part of today feeling sorry for myself --- well, technically, that's not true. I've spent the better part of today running errands and trying to organize things in such a way that we could complete all the things that needed to be done --- but in between, while driving, cooking, doing the dishes and laundry, I've been feeling sorry for myself. Then tonight I spent the last hour browsing through old blog posts.

Not really THAT old, but from more than a year ago.
.
.

.
.
I read through last July and August and I can hear the anxiety that started building. In many ways, I feel like I'm still on that crazy roller coaster. Feeling pretty weird and lost.

Then I go back even one month earlier, to last June, and I'm like a different person. Happy and fun and content.

And I miss myself.

And it's really weird. Really. REALLY weird.

And it feels like so long ago.

I think it's fairly safe to say that this past year has probably been the hardest of my entire life.

With so many huge life changes all coming to a head at the same time and then so many things (some of which I've never even shared here) not really going the way I expected them to go . . . It's been a really challenging year for me. personally.

In many ways, (as always seems to be the case) it's been one of the best years of my life. We've had more time together as a family than we've probably ever had. We've experienced so many wonderful and new things. It has been such a joy and I have daily thought of how blessed we are and how I'd do it all again.

I guess the real kicker is . . . ME.

As a family, we're doing wonderful and we are SO happy.

But, I still feel kind of lost. Kinda disconnected and often alone.

And that's really hard for me to admit.

I've realized about myself that I don't like to openly talk about things that I'm really struggling with. If it's something that is challenging, but I've got a handle on it - something that I've got a plan for - then I'm good. I can discuss and joke even. But I have a really difficult time sharing things that are really scary and hard for me. It's hard for me to share the things that are real insecurities.

This last year has left me feeling very insecure in many ways. Like I just don't know who I am right now.

And I don't like it.

I miss my friends. I miss my family. I miss many things about our old life. I miss Home. I miss Me.

Outside my sweet family, I still don't feel like there is anyone here that really knows me.

Don't get me wrong. I've not been some crazy recluse for the past 12 months or anything. Our ward is amazing! I've made some friends, attended activities and beach days, served in my fabulous church calling ---- but real friendships take time and effort. And with all that this year has thrown at us (not to mention having five VERY small children) it's been difficult for me to even gather myself together enough to have anything to present to anyone else - let alone anything to offer.

{breathe}

I really just need to get out of the house more often. I need to . . . .

oh. whatever.

I could come up with a long list of things I need to do. All I'm really trying to say is - I just feel a little lost. Still. And it bothers me. I miss the person that I was and I'm having a really hard time finding her again.

Screw what I should do about it.

At least for tonight.

13 comments:

Sara Newton said...

Oh Rachel, how I love you! You just articulated much of how I have felt ever since we moved. I feel like I have nothing to present to anyone and how am I going to make friends if I have nothing to offer? I'm so homesick for Illinois that I don't even know what to do sometimes! I only let myself feel it in the shower when I am alone (and you know how rare it is to have an uninterrupted shower). I hope in the next few weeks things can settle down to "normal" or at least a new normal!

The Moore Family: said...

I know exactly how you feel. I still feel that way sometimes, even 10 years after moving away from family. I just miss 'home'. I think in the past 3 years I've finally connected with some people who are like family to me now. It takes time. The great thing about family is that sense of validation. They accept us for who we are and we can just be ourselves with them. It's hard to find that anywhere else. You've just moved into a new home. I can just imagine the feelings that creates. You are strong and you will find you again. Or,as a diversion, you can just come visit us crazy relatives! :)

MeggyT said...

Don't read the past, look to the future my friend. And when you really need a break feel free to make the 39 hour drive (I looked it up last month trying to plan a trip to come see you) to visit me in Maryland. Aviana and I would love to see you all :)

lynsey said...

oh my friend, i just love you. i've been in a rut and felt like why go on and on whining about it to my friends? they need sunshine and i hey! i used to actually be FUNNY on my blog! where has that side been for the past 2 years or so?

but i guess i'm no longer going to apologize or feel badly for posting when i'm struggling because i appreciate it so much when others can be real--not whiny--but REAL about where they're at in life.

you have been through a lot, and it sounds like i only know a portion of that. but what i DO know of, you've been through a LOT.

to everything there is a season, and i get it, sometimes i miss old me too. the non-emo, more lighthearted me. but she's there, underneath the surface, waiting for when it's time to resurface.

all of these sides--the anxious, the lonely, the fun and content, the sarcastic, the spiritual, the sad, the frustrated--these are what make us human. and i absolutely love that blogs are the space to provide the ability to write about these and know that we're not alone. even if it does mean we're all a bit narcissistic!

call me if you ever want to talk, i'm on my own most evenings. and, i miss you. :)

The Ricks Family said...

I know :-)

Deanna said...

I love you! I miss you!!! And I read every.single.post. I'll do better and commenting. :) You've been such a wonderful example to me....and honestly, when I'm feeling down, I think "how would Rachel handle this?" LOL! I really, really miss you!!! We got together with the Whitworths and the Snedakers last weekend....it was a blast! I thought you should have been there. ;)

ANYWAYS....chin up, my dear. I think your thoughts are wonderful. :)

Anonymous said...

Life is so interesting, isn't it? Always changing, always throwing different obstacles at you. You're able to redefine yourself more often than you want to! You'll be great!!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes life just SUCKS. I've come to this conclusion recently. It usually gets better, but sometimes it doesn't matter how much we look at the bright side or count our blessings--it's just downright hard. Can you tell how sunshiny and chipper I've been ;) However, I also know that it doesn't last.

The friend thing is hard. I've been trying to make friends lately too--it's like dating. So much harder though, when you're not in school and when our own lives are so darn busy. You are such a strength to so many people (including me) and it makes my heart glad to see you writing about such a REAL (as Lynsey put it) emotion. It is so easy in our facebook/blogging world to just put the good, the successes, and the happy moments--but that's not life. Life is up and down. We get the sad to appreciate the happy I guess. I'm looking for some happy myself, so remember that you're in good company--I think it's the age. Look we're all 30ish with young children and all different challenges and all struggling with similar feelings. For the record. . . I think the world of you--I've always wanted to be like you when I grew up ;) Love you Rach!

Wendie said...

I LoVe YoU!!!

gvseng said...

So now you know, everyone reads your blogs! Silly girl. Sending much love your way. Hang in there, soon you will discover the new, stronger more exciting you than the old one that you have packed away. The old one couldn't do what you need to do tomorrow but this new one can. Embrace her and life will get wonderful. Now, go and enjoy your new paradise with those angels of yours.

ClancyPants said...

Hi. I read too. Always. And I'm more screwy than I've ever been in my life, EVER. So I'm glad to read I'm in screwy company. Love you.

Alisha said...

Oh, Rachal! You have a way with words! I just love what you say because it so often describes what I am feeling myself. Hang in there!

Kris said...

Rachel,
So I'm just now catching up on blogs. Being nine months pregnant sucked and I was depressed and not socializing in any form (real life or online) and then having a baby two weeks ago has put me in a new busy position BUT I'm so glad I stopped by your blog today!

I SOOOO know exactly what you are feeling. This year, for us has been very similar, us moving out to Spokane, leaving good friends in Indy, Chaos of moving then moving again....I feel like we are experiencing similar life changes and I can really sympathize (don't know if that is the word to use) maybe relate with your feelings in this situation. I feel like I miss "me" too. I've been in this coping-with-life phase for the past year and I feel like I've lost the fun/old me as I've just pushed through our new life and the stresses that have come along with it.

Can we hang out soon! Lets do girls night out in CDA!

Seriously, I miss having good girl friends and it's been frustrating having to start over in making new friendships.

So we need to get together once in a while and I SO want to see your new house, it looks amazing! I love all the yard space, how fun.

Let me know if you want to get out and have a girls night, I'm so up for it!